First of all: Sorry your are having problems with UrBackup. We strife to keep UrBackup bug free, but as with every software project this is a difficult endeavour, which is dependant on the community reporting potential problems.
Before you post for help or describe the problem you should check the following:
- Is there already an ongoing discussion about this problem? Use the forum search functionality.
- Check the manual and FAQ
- UrBackup is Open Source. You may be able to fix the problem and post the solution.
When reporting a problem
- Create a new forum thread. Do not report your problems directly to the developers.
- Describe your problem in as much detail as possible. Because you are the first to report this problem there may have been some unusual steps/software constellations causing the problem. If possible, describe those steps and/or software.
- Include details about operating system, file system, UrBackup versions of both the client and the server
- Attach or send the log files of the client and/or server. Those log files may contain confidential data. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing your new thread to avoid posting them publicly, but public posting is preferred. When in doubt do this with both the client and server log file.
- If UrBackup (client or server) crashes on Windows it creates crash dumps. The crash dump location is logged to the log file. Attach the crash dump or send it to email@example.com referencing your new thread (they may contain confidential data). Instructions for GNU/Linux and FreeNAS.
The server log file is per default located at
C:\Program files\UrBackupServer\urbackup.log. Change
C:\Program files\UrBackupServer\args.txt to create a debug log file. Debug log files are preferred. The log file on Linux/FreeBSD is located per default at
/var/log/urbackup.log. The log level is an argument to the server program (
urbackupsrv run -v debug) or can be configured via
The client log file is per default located at
C:\Program Files\UrBackup\debug.log on Windows. Run
C:\Program Files\UrBackup\enable_debug_logging.bat as admin to enable debug logging. On Linux/FreeBSD the client log file is located at
/var/log/urbackupclient.log. To enable debug logging run the backend with
urbackupclientbackend -v debug or it can be configured via
Attach the log files to your new post or send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, because they may contain data which should not be public.