What do the icons in the UrBackup Client Actually Mean and Control

This message is primarily focused on the UrBackup Client, but there are a couple of spots in the Server where buttons with the same icons appear. I can’t for the life of me figure out what they mean nor how they interact with the Server. Here’s a quick screenshot:

UrBackupClient

The three icons in question look like a lock, a house, and a two-lane highway.

In my server, I have the permissions set so that the client is allowed to change what is wanted as far as backups go. I would like, in one of the two clients, to eliminate full system image backups entirely, but I cannot seem to achieve that. Checking/unchecking the Active checkbox does nothing and “doesn’t stick.” It always becomes active again. Trying to use those buttons in an effort to change values has not helped, and it’s entirely unclear to me what they are meant to represent in terms of whether the client is controlling, the server is controlling, or something is locked (and if locked, by whom? - client or server?).

I cannot find any heavy-duty documentation regarding the client side like I can for the server, so I’m turning here for help.

This seems to not work as designed. Could you provide the information described in this post Having problems with UrBackup? Please read before posting ?

I would be happy to do so, but after I have had someone tell me what those icons are supposed to represent and their function, in the context of the client.

I can’t very well discuss this without having the necessary language to do so, and that means knowing what those icons are and how they are supposed to function, whether they’re actually functioning that way or not.

If you have changed settings client side I think those supersede whatever you set on the server from that point. I have seen that being mentioned here on this forum, but I could be wrong, I have never done client side settings.

Have you tried holding your mouse over the icons and read the popup that describes what they do? xD

Edit, oh shit, you have the client window open, not the server webpage. Hmm, not sure that works then, I only have the cli client installed.

But serverside the descriptions are:
House = use settings set here
“Highway” = use settings set on client
padlock = using settings from group (you have to manage groups serverside so if you havent added any groups the default server settings/settings you set on the server are used here)

Thanks for the info on the icons. Either I’ve gone blind, or they are described in words, as you’ve done here rather than having the actual icons embedded in the documentation (which they should - Also, a guide to the Client would be nice).

I would imagine that these mean the same thing on the Client as they’re supposed to on the Server. Except that the idea of a difference between “house” and “highway” on the client side isn’t there for those two as “settings set here” and “settings on client” are one and the same.

I will now have to try things again with tweaking settings on the client side first making sure that “House/Here” is selected (though I have tried this before) to see if they’re actually honored or not. So far, it’s been not, but I have to confirm this and get logs afterward if they don’t “stick.”

Might I ask why you are not doing this on the server webgui? It’s so much clearer and easier to manage imho.

Edit.
There is also this that you have to make sure is set correctly for what you are doing, I have no idea what the default settings are.

I suggest you look at the reply I made last night to someone asking about this, where I not only posted the server side screenshot you have, but the corresponding client side context menu when this is enabled.

https://forums.urbackup.org/t/can-client-trigger-urbackup-himself/13015

The problem is, and I’ll say it again, that even when the above is in place on the server side the server does not seem to be honoring client side changes.

I need to do more testing to confirm/refute that, as I wanted more information before doing so. One has to get one’s proverbial ducks in a row and know how one expects something to work (as the designer says it should) as a prerequisite to doing thorough testing.

To answer this, it’s because there are plenty of occasions where I’d like “the standard setup” that I manage on the server side to be one thing, but that there will be exception cases for certain clients.

In this specific case, I wanted the client to only do File Backups. System images are not wanted for that machine. But no matter what I do on the client side to try to disable (I uncheck the Active box for system images) the taking of system images, it gets turned on again, which should not happen.

I want control quite literally where I want control at a given moment in time. When a client server system is involved, my usual practice is to make server settings reflect “the typical case” and then tweak the client(s) as necessary when exceptions to the typical case present themselves. As the exceptions are related to the various clients, not the server.

And…

Yes, that is quite literally the exact thing I’m doing, serverside, in firefox, on the computer I’m also backing up. Only over lan though, not internet. But you do what you feel natural/best! :slight_smile:

The only thing I can think of is, and again, I am not doing it this way, to me it just complicates things, BUT I think this setting might have to do with it (on the specific client, I have nothing set, hence the NaN):

I only included the top setting in the picture, you have to do this on all, but AGAIN, I’m only speculating here.

Edit.
To clarify, maybe you misunderstand me.

As en example, I ALSO have changed settings on specific clients, the interval on my server default is 6, I changed it to 5 on this perticular client. You can change ANYTHING by choosing the correct client in the dropdown menu. If you don’t choose a client, you change the global setting (the padlock).

And the server settings to show what I mean:

And disabled image backups globally:

I truly appreciate your having taken the time to do these screenshots and give the accompanying explanation.

I can certainly agree with you that central administration is easiest, and in a production environment that’s likely what I’d do. I would still like to be able to exercise control on the client side when exception situations occur and when it so happens to be the client machine that I’m sitting in front of at that moment.