Remote Silent Install Issues

Sorry to revive the other old thread. I read the forum rules a little late.

I have the script (https://urbackup.atlassian.net/wiki/display/US/Download+custom+client+installer+via+Python) working. It downloads and runs the installer silently. That part works.

However, after install, the UrBackup client opens and asks what files and volumes to backup. Shouldn’t the default information be retrieved from the server? Is there something I am missing?

Issues are similar to this thread: Silent client installation in 2.0 never completes

All of my clients are not local to the server and will be internet based only, All clients requiring silent installation are Widows 7 or newer. I planned on pushing the installer out via an RMM tool.

Thanks,
Andy

Sry, seems I forgot about this. As a workaround you can still save and run it as UrBackupUpdate.exe in your script.

So if I am understanding correctly, I can still use the UrBackupUpdate.exe, however, how will the client get the settings information from the server if UrBackup had never been installed on that client before?

Remember, all of my clients are internet based so there is no local server for them to connect to and pre-populate.

Not trying to be pensive, just trying to understand the install process.

EDIT:
Just to update for other people running into the same questions regarding silent installs for remote internet clients.

In the Silent Install script linked above, I made the following changes:

Line 100 - change readall() to read() as per Python 3.6.1 HTTP stuff.
data = response.read();

Changes for UrBackupUpdate.exe
Line 170
if not download_file("download_client", "UrBackupUpdate.exe",
Line 184
if not download_file("download_client", "UrBackupUpdate.exe",
Line 193
os.system('"UrBackupUpdate.exe" /S')

The UrBackupUpdate.exe install will initially attempt to find a local server for approx. 5 minutes. When it times out it will then use the Internet Server settings and search for an internet server. At which point it will connect and download all default client settings.

UrBackup version 2.1.16.

this command also works for closing the prompt silently…

taskkill /F /FI “WindowTitle eq Select files and volumes to backup” /T

So I have been messing with the silent remote installations trying to get them to work flawlessly before production deployment.

I have been running into issues with the client. The client will install, say that it is connected to the Internet server, but refuse to download the client settings from the server.

On the Status page in the server dashboard, the client is showing as Online: No. Last seen time of the first check-in, but nothing after that.

I verified that I have the internet ports forwarded. 55413-55415 TCP.

Am I missing something? Do I need anything on the Archive tab?

Server:

File Backup:

Image Backups Disabled.
Client Settings:

Internet Settings:

Sorry you are having issues. To solve the problem the client (debug) log would be useful.
If possible, could you post it or send it?

This post describes how to change the client to debug logging, where it is stored and where to send it to if posting is not possible: Having problems with UrBackup? Please read before posting

Thanks!