Install from sources Debian/Ubuntu Instructions unusable

Trying to follow the instructions here

First install the depends WxWidgets >= 2.9.0 Well obviously that’s not the package name since those are all lower case on Debian…

So after some messing with apt-cache search & apt-cache show I conclude I probably need the package libwxgtk3.0-0v5 for that… well ok so far I guess, on to the build depends…

build-essential – Check
g++ – Check
libcrypto+±dev --check

Now the issues start:
apt-cache policy libwxgtk3.0-dev
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)

Dancing around… and I think the winner is libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev – prepared to risk it…

apt-cache policy libz-dev
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)

Gere we go again…
apt-cache search libz-dev… seemingly endless stream of stuff, nothing stands out as what’s needed.

So off to the Debian package search, & refine it as best I can:
name contains “libz” and “dev”
63 results

Sorry @uroni I can only eliminate the majority… NOT 62 of them…

So what the hell do I need there for Debian 11 (Bullseye)?

Conclusion… the instructions need updating… preferably with actual package names that one can sudo apt-get install

As for if it subsequently builds & runs… Who knows?

1 Like

debian 11 this seems to get it going for me:
apt install build-essential zlib1g-dev libcrypto++-dev libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev

Cool, thanks @newbuser158 From an apt-cache show it appears zlib1g-dev has libz-dev in the Provides: field so I’m fairly sure that’s the one …

I’d mark your answer as the solution, except obviously the problem with the documentation remains so it only solves it for me, not anyone visiting the website & trying.

@uroni The published instructions still need updating to reflect packages people can easily just install though, I’m not sure I’d have ever tracked down zlib1g-dev without assistance.

1 Like

And it segfaults… error 4 in libcrypto++.so.8.4.0 according to dmesg
I suspect it’s the same issue as here:
Segmentation fault with self compiled client on Debian unstable - UrBackup - Discourse

I’ll try the specified configure option below anyway. It’ll either fix it or still be broken.
./configure --enable-embedded-cryptopp

1 Like

joys of c++ :laughing:

Oh the saga continues… the GUI wants to use one of gksudo kdesudo gksu or kdesu
Packages not available in Debian Bullseye so far as I’m aware, gksudo went away with Stretch… so I’ve had to install lxqt-sudo & make a script in ~/bin making that pretend to be gksudo. Obviously the GUI client also needs an update to use policykit …

Still … Progress!
It compiles, it no longer segfaults, I’ve hacked getting it to elevate when needed, now if I could only figure out why it’s not doing LVM snapshots the way the non-gui client does & fix that… it’d probably be suitable for the purpose & user it’s wanted for.

1 Like

Yes, the gksudo pain is also something which needs to be cured by an update of the policykit stuff. However, for Manjaro (and presumably Arch) there is a package called “zensu” in the community repository which is a simple gksu replacement and it works with the Urbackup GUI client. See zensu and GitHub - Chrysostomus/zensu: Simple gksu replacement using spacefm dialog, zenity or yad for more information.

1 Like

anything in the logs around why not doing lvm snapshots for you?

I’m on Debian though… and my cure is to install lxqt-sudo (and lxqt-sudo-l10n) without recommends then create a script called gksudo somewhere in my path with this highly complex content:

lxqt-sudo $@

Anything that calls gksudo then just works. Even if the dialogue is headed “LXQt sudo”

There wasn’t until I found this & created the config in the linked thread from there.

Then the logs complained about lvm_create_filesystem_snapshot & it’s remove counterpart being missing, so then I copied those out of the source into their place…

Now it complains instead that it can’t open
/usr/local/share/urbackup/filesystem_snapshot_common
Which unfortunately doesn’t appear to exist anywhere I can find on the installed system or in the extracted source tarball.

From the state of the logs it appears I also need to fix this:
Bug in lin_tokens.cpp - client - UrBackup - Discourse

2 Likes