UrBackup Server/Client 2.0.2 beta (with Mac OS X client)

Most of the changes are described in the blog:

The Linux command line interfaces have been redesigned since then as well.

This version now includes a Mac OS X client and a portable Linux client (for x86/x86_64/ARMv6/ARM64). I did not manage to get different OS X versions to run in Virtual Box. If anyone has pointers on how to do that in a comfortable and legal manner they would be appreciated.
The portable Linux client doesn’t have C+±exception support (yet). In my tests everything was functional but this is something that must be resolved before releasing a non-beta version.

Changes since last version

• Fixed a few bugs (mainly the client)
  • Fixed Windows server installer
  • Fixed server Linux source distribution (header files were missing)

Todo

• Linux and Mac OS X client update is untested as of yet
  • UEFI/GPT testing
  • Update documentation
  • Server on FreeBSD is untested – probably won’t compile

Compatibility with prior versions

• 2.x server with 1.4.x client full compatibility (please report issues)
  • 2.x client with 1.4.x server works only in local network mode (not via internet mode)
  • Older client/server combinations may work but were not tested
  • 1.x restore does not work with 2.x servers (improved login method)

Upgrade process

As always: Replace the executables and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it. As always downgrading the database version after upgrading it is not possible, so you should backup the old database files especially since this is a beta.

Because of the improved file deduplication and statistics calculation the largest server table has to be completely rebuild. This may take a few hours depending on how many file entries you have. It will show the progress on the web interface but is not usable during the upgrade process.

Linux notes:

• The wrapper scripts start_urbackup_server and start_urbackup_client have been removed. Please use the executable directly
  • The executable has been renamed to urbackupsrv (from urbackup_srv), the client to urbackupclientbackend (from urbackup_client)
  • There is a new command line interface for the client urbackupclientctl
  • All the plugins are now statically linked into one executable. This simplifies the compilation, debugging and packaging on Linux

Run the UrBackup server on Linux with e.g. urbackupsrv run --loglevel debug

Downloads

Hi Uroni,

I’ve just upgraded to 2.0.2. beta server and client and will run some tests and report back findings.

Currently seeing this error when installing on OS X 10.11.3.

/Applications/UrBackup\ Client.app/Contents/MacOS/urbackupclientgui ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/liblzma.5.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/UrBackup Client.app/Contents/MacOS/urbackupclientgui
  Reason: Incompatible library version: urbackupclientgui requires version 8.0.0 or later, but liblzma.5.dylib provides version 6.0.0
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

Hi,

Ok so Windows Server 2.0.2 beta client download is working. I’ve run five test backups and they have completed successfully.

all clients are backing up over internet and are windows based.

I’m Liking the log button on the server activities web page its a great help also the speed and eta indications.

I’m going to continue testing but so far so good

I’ve performed some tests with 2.0.2 beta, server on Linux (btrfs) and client on Windows, Linux and OSX.

• OSX gives the error that john3354 stated. Anyway, it seems that the backup server is able to see the client, so I think it gets installed anyway and is running. I didn’t do any further test, yet
  • Windows client works, but I haven’t been able to restore files. It seems files have been restored (by the webgui), but the file actually isn’t restored at all. Same for the backup image: I can perform a backup, but when trying to restore (using restore cd beta 2.0.0) I get this error: “Server error: Image data could not be found”. This happens if using the new Raw Copy on Write format, while it can backup and restore correctly if I use the (old) Compress VHD.
  • Linux client works, but I’m not able to restore files, as for Windows. Starting the client in debug mode, it shows: “2016-02-08 21:27:55: ClientService cmd: #Ih8xsPikZTnjOljHtnilV#FILE RESTORE client_token=f0EPwjxzHBnLuGcq0XP5PZIM8&server_token=4tM1vYFrQZWYdZuhDyXK&id=11&status_id=47&log_id=50&restore_path=root%2Froot%2FUrBackup%20Client%20Linux%202.0.2%20beta.sh&single_file=1&clean_other=1&ignore_other_fs=1
    2016-02-08 21:27:55: rc=0 hasError=true state=0”

I think that’s all. I think that UrBackup 2 will really be a great piece of software, as soon as the main problems will be solved.

Thank you.

Thanks for the hint.

In the default configuration it needs client confirmation while restores from the server are disabled for the Linux client.

So on Windows there should be a popup asking you if restoring is ok. On Linux you need to change e.g. /etc/default/urbackupclient (or use the command line on the client to start restores). Could this be the reason it does not work?
(I guess it should not show the restore button on the web interface if restore from web interface is disabled).

Just a note, did a fresh server install today on Windows 10 64bit.

Beta 2.0.2 64bit MSI and 32/64bit EXE server installs both required UAC to be completely disabled to install. Both failed without it, EXE installer showed issue with running installer for VC. Disabled UAC temporarily, rebooted and re-ran installer without issue. User is Admin, EXE installer was right clicked and chosen to install as administrator when install issue was seen.

Backups are working great after successful install and re-enabling of UAC.

Ok, I’ve done some more tests. I can’t find a /etc/default/urbackupclient on my Linux installation (I’ve installed using the .sh file provided), so I don’t know how to set this option. I’ve found no man page, too. Tests done using Arch Linux.

About Windows, I can see that, for example, c:\Documents and Settings is backed up, but no hashes are generated, so I can’t restore anything.
If I create a file on c:, it gets backed up and I start the restore process from the web interface, the pop up appears and everything seems to be done, but at last the recovered files and/or directories don’t appear at all, so it seems that the restore isn’t performed at all.

Thank you.

Could you supply some logs please?

I haven’t tested this with arch linux. On redhat the daemon configuration goes into /etc/sysconf/urbackupclient on Debian into /etc/default/urbackupclient

c:\Documents and Settings is a symbolic link and not a real folder. So that might not work yet.

Edit: Ok, sorry. It is broken. Will release a fix soon.

Of course I can.
On the client, no logs at all about the restore. The pop-up appears, I confirm, it says it’s indexing, and then that restore has finished. But the file isn’t there.
On the server, all I can see on the logs is: “Connecting for restore failed”. On the Last Activities, it shows:

22 PC File restore Path: C/Ciao.txt 09/02/16 20:38 1 min -

On Arch, defaults also go on /etc/default. But I can’t find any urbackupclient on it. I will try to install on a Debian machine and test.

Great, thank you.