Trying to build a live cd (ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

trying to build a live cd for backup i realize there is already a live-cd for restore, but i have a broken machine i would like to take a backup of and it does not have a working OS so i need to boot a live cd and install the urbackup client and connect to it with the server? was going to use remastersys gone now? or something like that later to make a live cd anyways maybe i am going about this wrong and would love here that the existing urbackup cd can already do this?

However for now i cannot even get urbackup client 1.3.1 to compile on ubuntu 12.04 see errors below

/urbackup-client-1.3.1# make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1' Making all in . make[2]: Entering directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1’
make[2]: Leaving directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1' Making all in client make[2]: Entering directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1/client’
make all-am
make[3]: Entering directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1/client' g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -DLINUX -g -O2 -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/main.Tpo -c -o main.o main.cpp main.cpp: In member function âvirtual void MyTimer::Notify()â: main.cpp:282:43: error: invalid initialization of reference of type âwxStandardPaths&â from expression of type âwxStandardPathsBaseâ make[3]: *** [main.o] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1/client’
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1/client' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory /root/urbackup-client-1.3.1’
make: *** [all] Error 2
root@c0mputerking-virtual-machine:~/urbackup-client-1.3.1#

Does this work? http://urpc.dyndns.org/urbackup_unstable/urbackup-client-1.3.1.tar.gz

Thank you and I will try this file … also i noticed that things are still moving along with the urbackup restore cd and was wishing that it had a baked in urbackup client so you could use it to do backups as well as restores maybe i should start a post about that … I am willing to help with this is there a way to boot urbackup cd to a shell as i have not really played around with it very much as the first dialog states it is going to erase my harddirve … i guess i should spin up a vm and play around with this

While you can access the shell from the urbackup restore cd (it does not immediately start the restore. Also: ctrl+alt+F2), I think you’d be better of using a live cd with GUI (E.g. ubuntu live or knoppix). The urbackup restore cd just includes the stuff you need for the restore. (apt-get does work though)