Restore option isn't available via the webinterface

Hi there,

I’m with the same problem; all of the Linux clients (mixed: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Oracle Linux) doesn’t show the restore button in the server web interface; all of the Microsoft Windows clients shows and restore the files fine.

Server version: 2.2.11
Client version (all): 2.2.5

All the linux clients are set up with the “RESTORE=server-confirms” option, but none shows up. Already restart the clients; did not restart the server yet (still have backups running).

Any light over this issue?

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Had the same issue here running the (headless) client on debian jessy and the server on ubuntu.
Adding the server-confirms statement and restarting both server & client did the trick for me.

Worked flawlessly after that :slight_smile:

Hi Jejamin,

I already rebooted both, server (after all the running backups end) and some of the clients (that I’ve updated yesterday). Still not every client are showing the restore button (just the Microsoft Windows ones). In total, are more than 30 clients configured.

The server is running over an Ubuntu 16.04 with btrfs for backup storage and using UrBackup version 2.2.11. All clients are using the version 2.2.5, except one (legacy, using 1.4.11). All of the clients are headless and all of the Linux clients are set with the “RESTORE=server-confirms” (some screens of server’s web interface are attached).

EDIT: I’ve implemented this server this week; I’ll let it run this weekend and check it again on monday, to see if it is some data base index or something like it that is probably running.

Thank you very much; best regards.

Just to make sure, this is what /etc/default/urbackupclient contains (as well as other config ofc)?

# Valid settings:
#
# "client-confirms": If you have the GUI component the currently active user
#                    will need to confirm restores from the web interface.
#                    If you have no GUI component this will cause restores
#                    from the server web interface to not work
# "server-confirms": The server will ask the user starting the restore on
#                    the web interface for confirmation
# "disabled":        Restores via web interface are disabled.
#                    Restores via urbackupclientctl still work
#
RESTORE="server-confirms"

Hi Jejanim,

I’m pretty sure that all Linux servers are set like this. I’ve installed the client, wait for the first backup to run and then change the restore option to “RESTORE=server-confirms”. After that, I’ve restarted the server.

EDIT: just adding, in the Microsoft Windows servers I didn’t change a thing and they work fine.

I’m out of work now, but I can confirm to you on monday. The only thing that differs that I can see now are the quotes; I’m sure that I followed the same as the default setting, “RESTORE=disabled”, without the quotes. Does this matters?

Thank you very much.

I don’t know but I suggest giving it a try.
After all, that’s what the comments suggest (“server-confirms” in quotes).

What does ps -Af | grep urbackupclient say on one of those clients?

Hi Jejanim,

I’ve tried, but nothing changed. When I arrived at work today, it still was without the “Restore” button; I’ve changed the setting to RESTORE=“server-confirms” (with quotes) and restarted the client, nothing changed. So, after that, without any backup running, I’ve restarted the service “urbackupsrv” in the server; after that, most of the clients are now showing the restore button. I said “most” because some clients are still not showing the button, as the images show bellow (just taken - both Linux servers). Couldn’t get the logic behind this, but I think it’s an indexing of somekind behind.

Working server:

Server without the “Restore” button:

Thank you very much. Best regards.

Hi uroni,

Here as requested (just take the screenshots): working and not working clients, respectively.

EDIT: just complementing; the first one is a Ubuntu 16.04; the second (not working), is a Debian 6, but I guess this isn’t the problem either. There are Debian 6 clients that are working; also, there are working and not working CentOS 6 clients. Hard to urderstand for now, but trying to.

Thank you very much. Best regards.

Hi there!

After a batch of restarts (both, server and problematic clients), it ended up running, finally. Couldn’t understand yet this “exact” science of ours, but, well, finally worked.

Thank you very much for you all, specially uroni and Jejanim.

Best regards.

1 Like

I have found that restore button is conditional to Urbackup server thinking that the Urbackup client is online and connected

Make sure the server thinks it’s online before you try doing a restore.

You’re probably using this because:

• old machine was backed up
  • You install new machine
  • Download client for old machine and install it
  • Want to push a restore of the files from old machine to new machine.
  • Archive your snapshot so it doesn’t get cleaned before you’re finished
  • Run a new backup with “Default directories to backup” to a newly created folder eg c:\temp\
  • Check to make sure Online = Yes
  • Then try and do the restore of the files from the previous machine/backup, see if the button is there.

@uroni It would be nice to have a diagnostic view into what’s connected/how/methods for troubleshooting. I think I’ve finally gotten the hang of it and how to try and get it into Online mode, but it’s not obvious when starting out.

I have the similar issue on linux

I have the same issue (the restore button missing).
Some oldest servers are working fine, but the last installed has the pb, with the same configuration than the others.
The server status is online and backup are working.
It is an old topic, so I wonder if somebody find a solution on this ?

Re-read my message.

Per screenshot, is the CLIENT reading as online = Yes in the status page?
Wait until it does (which can take 5-10mins - keep switching screens Activities/Status) before attempting the restore. Until client reads as online you will not get the restore button

Thank you for your reply.
Yes the server is seen online (online = Yes).

After rebooting the server (not the client), it’s working fine :slight_smile:
Thank you

I had a similar issue (button present for some clients but not others). RESTORE=“server-confirms” helped but a reboot of the client and a restart of the server’s service weren’t enough. It worked only after I rebooted the server.

Hi

I came across Urbackup due to an evaluation of open source tools; while searching for a restore button I came across this discussion and like to add (if not already mentioned) …

Ubuntu 18.04, client version 2.4.11, server version 2.4.19 (running as docker container)

Changed /etc/default/urbackupclient option RESTORE from disabled to “server-confirms” (with quotes) and did a systemctl restart urbackupclientbackend.service …

no success, no restore button

… did a new full backup of the client and had a look for the appearance of the button …

… deleted old backups, adjusted settings for incrementell and full backups, did a full backup and …

… restarted the docker container …

… restarted the client with a time delay between start and stop of 300 seconds …

success, restore button is showing up.

This leaves me a bit unsure about Urbackup and its reliability. But anyway I will give it a try.

Regards, Stone

Ubuntu 20.4 LTS.
Latest client/server - no restore web gui button…

Same problem with linux clients (can’t say about Win ones, I have none yet since I 'm still evaluating urbackup).
I just wanted to confirm this behavior on Ubuntu 20.04 (both client and server). The rest of problems I had with this software keeps me from trying further.