Internet backups cap at 5mbps

I’m not sure when this problem began as I was using this rule for max internet backup speed: 20000;4000@Mon-Fri/7-17

It seems like now, all internet backups are capped at 5mbps. Download ISP speed at the server is 100mbps. Upload at clients varies, some are indeed capped around 5mbps however I am testing one that has 25mbps upload and it will not go above the 5mpbs consistent backup speed.

I’ve tried removing the “Max backup speed for internet connection:” setting, as well as on a client specific basis but it does not seem to change.

If I set max simultaneous backups on a client to 2 or 3, each of the drives will transfer at 5mbps. Is it possible that my server setting is somehow corrupt or “stuck?” Where can I check this value manually to verify?

Hello

Are you sure that you don t have a 5Mb link somehwere in the chain, that you can use the full 100Mb for yourself, and that nothing else is hogging the bandwith ?

I got a lot of 10Gb interfaces, but some servers backup at 50Mb. Most backup at 500Mb, because there are a lot 1Gb chockpoint in the network topology

That’s a good check, but the combined backup speed of all clients is well above 15mbps, and simply running speedtest.net goes well above that (up to 100mbps). On one of the slow clients, I’ve allow changing of settings on client side and verified that the speed limit is synchronizing properly with what is set on the server.

More information about system:
Server:
-Virtual machine with Windows Server 2016 on 2016 Hypervisor host. 4 cores of i7-3770 CPU
-6GB RAM
-OS on SSD storage
-Datastore on RAID10 which benchmarks at about 350MB/s from within the VM
-Dedicated NIC on its own separate subnet plugged directly into a router port (no switch between)
-clients in question are using CBT and server/client is 2.1.19

I’ve also tried disabling the “background priority” option. Went through all of the settings but can’t seem to find anything. It’s as if the speed limit is just set to 5000 Kb/s. Adjusting the limit DOWN to 1500 Kb/s does work.

I have also tried changing the internet port from the default down to 1024.

Is it possible that the speed shown is just inaccurate? How is it calculated?

I possibly have a similar issue with some Windows 7 clients. They appear to have a speed cap of 1.73Mbit/s. Nothing I’ve done changes this, and other clients on the same (local) network backup at full speed. I posted about it, but never received any responses. Sorry I can’t offer anything more than a “me too.”

Hopefully we can work together to find a solution. Are you using the CBT client on these?

Throttling is done on the server. If you have a look at the (greyed out) client settings you’ll see the currently active speed limit setting. There is a global cummulative one, a global one and one for each client. If you allow clients to set their own settings they can overwrite the client specific one.

The displayed speed is after compression and if only differences are transferred it will be pretty low as well. CBT should cause it to be higher as then unchanged sections of files/images can be skipped over without reading them.

If this doesn’t help you can also send me a memory dump of the server process and I can have a look at that.

Thank you uroni, hopefully this helps to display my current settings:

Client specific:

Server settings:

Does this look alright to you? This particular client was uploading right up to the ISP cap of 25bmps previously. I’ve made lots of changes over time so I have no idea which, if any, caused the slow down.

uroni, are you the “ur” in urbackup by any chance?

I am not using the CBT client, just the regular open source one.

I installed the client on several machines over a short time. All of the Windows 7 ones show slow backups, but the Windows 10 ones do not. Perhaps this is a different issue.

I do not have any speed restrictions in place. The max backup speed for clients, local network, internet, and total all show " - ". I have not tried putting in high limits to see if that changes things.

Originally I had all backups run as internet, but I switched to allow local backups, but that didn’t change the slow backups.

JML, I have not thought about the different windows versions. Currently I have urbackup installed on a few clients, mostly Windows 7 and Server 2012 or 2012 R2. I do have access to one with Windows 10, I will monitor the speed there and see if I see the same behavior as you.

EDIT: After checking a Windows 10 Home machine with 35mbps upload speed, the problem is there too. Transfer of an image backup is reported at “3.56Mbit/s”

uroni, I have this installed on Windows Server 2016. Can you instruct me on how to get you a memory dump?

So I have to admit, I feel really stupid right now. This was a really odd issue as I could get COMBINED download speeds that were pretty high- above 25-30mbps total. Going to the regular speedtest.net confirmed that my ISP download speed was 100mbps or so. HOWEVER, when downloading files via HTTP, I noticed that things capped at about 6mbps! What the heck? Hours of troubleshooting and replacing the router… I swapped the ethernet cable connecting our gateway and router and BAM, problem solved. Very odd as using the same cable connected directly to a laptop would yield high speeds.

Can’t believe it solved my issue, but hey, maybe it’ll help yours too! Swap those cables!