Slow backups from some clients

This is all using UrBackup 2.1.19 on a Linux host, and the 2.1.16 windows client.

I’m getting very slow backups from some clients, while other clients are very fast. The ones I’m having trouble with are all Windows 7, connected over the local LAN, and recent installs. The clients’ top speed for file backups is 1.68Mbit/s. That means even small incremental backups take all day. Image backups get up to about 20Mbit/s.

The problem is not the server being overloaded as it is able to handle multiple 100Mbit/s+ backups streams from other clients.

It’s not something unique to recent installs, as a newly installed Windows 10 system backs up fast.

It’s also not strictly unique to Windows 7, as a test Windows 7 VM backs up fast.

The slow clients aren’t busy. Some of them are under normal use, but one is completely idle, other than the backup.

In all cases, the client was installed by downloading the named client exe from the backup server.

I’ve tried several suggestions from the forum, but none have worked: Disabling backgroup priority, turning off compression and encryption, and switching from Internet to local.

I don’t see anything in the logs which looks problematic, but perhaps I don’t know what to look for.

Does anybody have advice on what to try next?

No advice, sorry.
Only noticed same behaviour on my small installation, running the server 2.1.19 on a freenas box w/ 12GB ram, 2 Windows 7 machines running 2.1.16 client.
File backups are terribly slow (as you wrote 2-3 MBit), image backups are much faster.
All machines connected with gigabit ethernet.

karl

Same problem, but v1.4 client work’s fine, any avice ?

I never found a solution. In my case, it’s not network, cabling, or something like that, because image backups often run at full speed, but file backups run very slow.

Hi!,
I got these problems too.
I installed UrBackup on Freenas (as a Jail) and I use it to backup several Linux and windows machines (running windows 2008 r2).
File backup speed is very different among windows and Linux clients (20 Mb/s vs 200 Mb/s).
All clients run on the same vmware Esxi 5.5 infrastructure and have updated vmtools.
I continue keeping updated UrBackup server and all the UrBackup clients but performance on windows machines continue to be a problem since the very first installation.
During backup process, windows machines look stable and nearly idle (looking at the performance monitor I can see just a little of cpu, disk and network activity). UrBackup server and freenas (that contains the jail) are not stressed too.
I found a lot of messages on this problem over the internet, but just one trick (unset the “Run backups with background priority on the clients” option on setup) that unfortunately didn’t work for me.
Did anyone find a solution?

I’ve never found a solution. I have several Windows 7 clients that do file backups at 1.68Mb/s. Those same clients do image backups at 20+Mb/s. I’ve eliminated cabling and network infrastructure as causes, and have tweaked every setting in urbackup and Windows that seems to be related, with no change. None of the hypothesis I’ve tested (bad cabling, network congestion control, checksum offloading, etc.) have made a bit of difference.