How to make raw image mounting work under Ubuntu (at least on my machine)

Hi UrBackup Community,

I never got image mounting to work until tody so I decided to give those of you who are still having troubles a small guide. I haven’t found a post here that covered all the steps (though there was not much to do really).

First of all: I’m running urbackup on a ubuntu server 17.10 and I’m using btrfs for my storage with raw image files. Also urbackup server runs in the default configuration with urbackup user.

Step 1: Change permissions on kernel
sudo chmod 0644 /boot/vmlinuz* (see http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html)

Step 2: Add urbackup user to kvm group
sudo usermod -a -G kvm urbackup (see http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html)

Step 3: Mount image from CLI as root
sudo urbackup_mount_helper mount <CLIENT> <CLIENT_FOLDER> <CLIENT_IMAGE>.raw

Step 4: Unmount image from CLI as root
sudo urbackup_mount_helper umount <CLIENT> <CLIENT_FOLDER> <CLIENT_IMAGE>.raw

Step 5: Mount image from CLI as urbackup
sudo -u urbackup urbackup_mount_helper mount <CLIENT> <CLIENT_FOLDER> <CLIENT_IMAGE>.raw (see UrBackup Server 2.1.6 beta)

Step 6: Unmount image from CLI as urbackup
sudo -u urbackup urbackup_mount_helper umount <CLIENT> <CLIENT_FOLDER> <CLIENT_IMAGE>.raw

Step 7: Mount image from Web Interface

For some reason mounting as root enabled the urbackup user as well to mount images. Step 5 did produce a “supermin exited with error code 1” before that. Steps 5 and 6 are most likely not required, but thats just what I did for testing.

I will check if mounting will now also work for different images and also after a reboot. It most likely won’t work after a kernel update since the default permissions under ubuntu are too restrictive.

I hope I could help someone with this post.

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

The latest version should do that automatically on Ubuntu (if it is working as intented).

export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1

just to try, in my ubuntu16.04,mount image is ok,is very very bad on centos

For some reason after a couple of restarts the mounting does no longer work. Mounting as root enables mounting via web interface again.