I have tried the new 1.4.9 batch files to combine VHDs, but wasn’t able to boot from them using XenServer, Hyper-V, or VirtualBox. I eventually found a Sysinternals program called disk2vhd that will make a single VHD for all selected partitions, including that elusive System Reserved partition. It also supports the newer VHDX file format, but it does not support incremental images, or a nice dashboard for management and reporting, or space quotas, or image restoration options, or any of the other great features that UrBackup offers.
If it’s not one thing, it’s another, right?
I wrote a batch script for disk2vhd at GitHub/Linkz57 if you folks are interested. I gave the batch file to Windows Task Scheduler, and it’s been working reliably with Hyper-V for a few weeks now.
Now I use disk2vhd for C:\ and System Reserved, and I use UrBackup for incremental images of all other partitions and disks.
I bring this information and simple script to the UrBackup community as an offering of good will, and in hopes that I might make some requests.
UrBackup is a fantastic project, and hope it continues to grow.
Speaking of growth, I have been having an issue with the “global soft filesystem quota”, in that it doesn’t seem to be working for me (Odds are it’s because I’m an idiot and am using it wrong. Hopefully I’ve provided enough information below for those smarter than me to diagnose this issue). I have UrBackup saving everything to a dedicated 2.5 TB HDD and have set the UrBackup server’s global soft filesystem quota to 80%. a few weeks of backups later, and I find the disk is 80-some percent full. Section 10.1 of the manual says that quotas are enforced at night, so I wait about 15 hours and check the next morning, and the disk is 94% full and UrBackup is actively imaging a machine. There was enough free space in that remaining 6% for it to complete its image, in case that’s relevant. Most of my machines have passed their minimum image threshold of 4, so I feel that they should have been culled for space.
This is my first question: what can I do to ensure that the “global soft filesystem quota” is enforced?
Thankfully, the “Maximal number of incremental file backups” seems to be working, and I saw in the activity log that UrBackup had deleted the oldest incremental image of one of my machines (not the machine I caught being backed up into my remaining 6%).
Out of curiosity, I mounted the newest incremental image of the machine that had just surpassed its ‘maximal incremental backups’ in Hyper-V, booted it up (from disk2vhd’s image of C:\ ), and checked its D:\ (from UrBackup’s recently culled incremental images). I wanted to quickly test every file for accessibility, because I assumed that each incremental image consisted only of changes that occurred between the last image and itself, and as such referenced each previous incremental image, chain-linked all the way down to the most recent full disk image. I assumed that UrBackup deleting the first incremental image after my only full disk image would 1: break the chain in its last link before the full disk image (where I assume all files that have never changed reside), and 2: make unavailable the files (if any) that were only changed between the full image and that one deleted incremental image.
I figured that touch.exe v0.99 from Stephane Duguay at binarez would be the fastest way to check every file, and so I ran touch.exe -Rc D:* and it didn’t print any errors. Now I assume that either touch.exe was wrong/was used wrongly, or that magic is real.
This is my second question: how do incremental VHDs work?
The manual says that UrBackup uses hashes for comparison, but makes no mention of how it makes up for all of the unchanged data it didn’t bother to copy over. Is there something in the VHD’s header that specifies a name and path to other VHDs that contain its missing information?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks again for a great product.