XP Clients After WannaCry Patches

I backup a whole lotta CNC’s that are still running Windows XP, and all has been working fantastic until I patched them with the patches MS released to block the WannaCry outbreak. Does anyone know why this would be? Does UrBackup use SMB or port 445? If so, any ideas for a work around?

Thanks!

Have you tried turning off the XP Firewall to see if it is a firewall problem? Sometimes MS updates the firewall.

If it’s not a firewall issue, then you might try running the clients as “Internet” clients to see if that changes how they talk to the server.

I just had some time today to check this a little more. The service stops for some reason and after restarting the service an error pops up on the screen saying urbackupclient.exe has an error and needs to close. I took a screenshot of the error in Event Viewer that I will attempt to attach here, never tried an attachment before so if it doesn’t work I’ll have to figure that out too!

That looks like it may be related to Visual C Runtime libraries. You could try uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219) and reinstall from below link. Then reboot and see if the error is still there.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165255E7-1014-4D0A-B094-B6A430A6BFFC/vcredist_x86.exe

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I am going to give your suggestion a try later this afternoon. I’ll post after testing in case anyone else is having this issue. I have a lot of CNC’s that still run XP so I have to get this figured out. I just haven’t had much time!

Well, I had high hopes but that version of Visual C++ is reinstalled with the client and after about 2 minutes the service crashes again. I see that there are other versions of Visual C++ installed on these systems, but the error specifies the 2010 version. I’m looking to see if I can find an older version of VC++, but I’m pretty sure the client would just update it again when I install, so maybe uninstall the 10.0.40219 while leaving the client installed and if I can find one, install an older version of VC++?

Anyone have any thoughts or fixes?

I think I may have found my issue. I didn’t reboot after installing the older version. These machines are pretty much always in production so it’s hard to do but I’m going to try to find one today that is idle.