Xfs reflink support in soon to come v2.2.1?

Is there any news, will next UrBackup version support xfs reflink (and/or ReFS 2.0)?
Thank you for your all great work & support. UrBackup is really great and I’m just missing one small puzzle - to optimize Outlook pst backup (save space on backup volume and on backup time as well).

Is XFS reflink support stable/usable yet?

The “Experimental” tag has just been removed from XFS upstream, for kernel 4.16.

1e369b0 xfs: remove experimental tag for reflinks

(Removal of experimental pretty much means “deemed stable and ready.”)

It would be really great to get xfs reflink support into urbackup, please let me know if I can help. (I’m an XFS developer, and actually shopping for a backup strategy, and would love to try urbackup + xfs reflinks!)

Thanks,
-Eric

Backup with XFS reflinks should work with the dev branch now.

Hmm, I’m guessing hard link performance is better and it should prefer creating hard links if files are unchanged on XFS, correct?

It sounds like that is what urbackup does for btrfs, correct? Hardlink if unchanged, reflink and modify if changed?
To be honest I don’t have a full grasp of how urbackup works, I should probably read up and/or deploy it to learn more. :slight_smile:

On btrfs it needs to link files between sub-volumes so it uses cross-device reflinks. Hardlinks don’t work cross sub-volumes.
Windows ReFS doesn’t support hard links at all, so it’ll have to use reflinks all the time there.
My guess is that one could implement reflinks such that the performance is the same as for hard links but that the performance is worse with the current file systems.

Hi:
may I ask what is the dev branch? is it 2.2.x beta or something else?