Why is C:\Programdata not backed up?

None of my clients does a backup of the folder c:\programdata - although this folder is not in exclusion list.

Why?

Maybe it should be c:ProgramData

Data has a capital

No. This is not the reason.

I have no includes defined. So there cannot be a misspell.

I have defined that the whole drive c should be backed up - except some excludes. And C:\ProgramData is not in the excludes.

So I expect that everything - except the excludes - is backed up.

But ProgramData is not backed up - at no client I use urbackup on. All Clients have the same problem.

It is a hidden directory. I would specifically include c:\programdata or perhaps c:\programdata$

Wouldn’t make much sense for a backup system if one had to add all hidden (sub-)directories manually into the include list.

I gave it a try and added c:\ProgrammData to include. After that, my backups were 0 bytes “big” - nothing was backed up. After emptying the include list backups go as normal (and again without C:\ProgrammData).

Any ideas?

Some modifications on ACL perhaps (remove of system acount) ?

Don’t think so. As I wrote in my first post:

“None of my clients does a backup of the folder c:\programdata”

So the ACLs had to change on every client - not very likely.

Did you have allow client to change what folders to backup enabled at any time? If you have, & they changed anything, or you set things when installing the client it’ll ignore the settings on the server, even if you set not to allow it & get settings from the server. At least, that was the behaviour way back when I set up.

Long time since I installed my clients, I forget exactly how to fix that.

I also forget what’s in the default excludes, mine are all changed since I only target C:\Users so I can’t look, & they don’t appear to be listed in the administration manual.

Just checked one of my clients and the settings for it are applied at the Group level with nothing set as Include locations:

For me, this is available when I browse the backup from the GUI to check:

Perhaps you have a new client that can be set up in a new group, and check after it does a backup…?

I was curious as to why in my case it was Always backing it up, so I searched and found this post.
In my case it was because I was backing up C:\Users and that included “C:\Users\All Users”, which is a symlink to ProgramData.
Have you tried finding in your backups that folder and see if the contents of ProgramData are there?

When installing the client if you select any auto configs i notice it will exclude ALOT of folder. We backup everything in the system (other than temp files and items not required like Windows Update cache).

Please check the following:

• Settings > File backups > Excluded files (with wildcards = BLANK (no entries)
  • Settings > File backups > Default directories to backup: = C:\ (see warning below)
  • Settings > Clients [select problem client] > File backups > Excluded files (with wildcards = BLANK (no entries) / PADLOCK ICON
  • Settings > Clients [select problem client] > File backups > Default directories to backup: = C:\ / PADLOCK ICOIN
  • Same for groups as above

The warning about this is, its likely file backups will fail as there are MANY folders Windows cant backup, mosly any READ ERRORS will fail the backup, we have the below EXCLUDED in the global settings (Settings > File backups > Excluded files (with wildcards)):

*.tmp
C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\*
C:\Windows\Minidump\*
C:\*.sys
C:\System Volume Information\*
C:\Windows\softwaredistribution\*
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\*
*\Temp\*
*\.Trash\*

The above needs to all be on a single line with “;” separating, them. The last entry (.Trash) is if you have ANY MAC sync stuff like iCloud installed. Also any icloud photos that are not downloaded will not be backed up, however doesnt seem to fail the backup (completes with warnings)