Urbackup with 2 hard drives

Good day!
I want to use Urbackup for my servers (NextCloud, websites). My NextCloud stores all of its Pictures and files on a 4TB external hard drive. The websites, databases,… run normally on the Ubuntu system.
Now I have the following question:
Is it possible to back up the external storage to an SSD1 via “File Backup” and the system to an SSD2 via “Image Backup”?

So: Can I use Urbackup with 2 hard drives for file and image backup?

Thank you for your answers!

I don’t think so…

Although…
I do not know how images are stored on the backup location, file backups are stored in a directory with the same name as the client (subvolumes if btrfs).
IF images are stored on a separate location from file backups, maybe you could just mount the other drive at that location, hence backing up on separate drives.
But again, I have never ran image backups so I do not know if it works.
Also, if you were to use certain filesystesms (btrfs comes to mind) you can add 2 drives for the same filesystem, but I would not recommend this for a backup solution since if one drive fails, the complete filesystem will be destroyed.

Might I ask why you want to do this?

1 Like

Many thanks for your response. The problem is, I have multiple hard drives (as targets). But I’ll see what I can do. Maybe I can solve it differently. I also think that it doesn’t work exactly as I thought.

nahovo2596
Urbackup can only back up stuff to one location.
If you have docks or jails or other type of virtual machine service, you can simply run two copies of urbackup server. One to do files to one backup drive. The other to do images to a different backup drive.
You can find instructions in this forum on how to connect one client to multiple servers.

All for now

I tried doing EXACTLY that not too long ago and the client kept making backups for the entire library (in my case +1TB every-single-backup) on one of the servers. It didn’t add much data, but it checked and updated the hashes in the database so each backup took HOURS when it should take >3mins.
I tried with 2 clients, one client with file backups on 2 servers, and one client with file on one server and image on another.
I made a post about it here in the forum but got no response so I stopped using 2 servers (since it did not work).

Have you actually done it and gotten it to work?

bedna,
I run two servers at home each backing up the same half dozen clients.
I also have a commercial client that I set up two servers for each backing up a different half dozen clients.

All for now

1 Like

How did you achieve that please. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work as it should.

How did you add 2 servers to one client?
Are clients windows or linux?
Are servers windows or linux?
Do you back up files only or images too?
Are the files you back up different on each client or do they “overlap”?
Are the clients passive or active?
What version on clients and servers do you use?

PLEASE help me out to get this to work!
I (or you) can start a new thread about it so we don’t taint this thread if you want but PLEASE help me out, I have been trying to get this to work for months!

Edit. I have a VERY hard time believing you, I tired with different clients and different servers since yesterday, noting works as it should.
IE, IT DOES NOT WORK TO USE 2 SERVERS ON ONE CLIENT (with the unpaid versions at least, you mention payed stuff)

I assume that you have one server and some number of clients already running O.K.
All you have to do is install a second copy of the urb server software on some other machine.
This other machine must have a unique IP address. The IP address should be static. Either hard coded on the machine’s ethernet adapter or through an address reservation entered into your router.
Make sure to enter the server’s IP address (i.e. HTTP://192.168.1.50:55414) in the Server URL box on the General, Server settings page.
Generally, copy all other settings from your first, already working server, to the new 2nd server.
The second server will tell you that it has found clients that it cannot work with.
This is because the clients do not yet have a key that works with the second server.

Do this to one client at a time.
Go to your second server’s status page and click Add New Client.
Highlight and copy the entire Server Identity code including the fingerprint data to the clip board (no spaces).
Cancel out of there.
After you have installed a client and it has successfully automatically connected to the first server.
Open the UrBackup program folder on that client.
It could be “C:\Program Files\UrBackup”
Copy “server_idents.txt” to the desktop.
Open the copy and go to the end of all of the text that is there and hit enter once to get a new line.
Past in the Server Identity code captured to the clip board earlier.
DO NOT HIT ENTER AFTER THE CODE.
Save and close the “server_idents.txt” file.
Stop the UrBackup client service. (Google “start or stop a service”)
Copy the modified “server_idents.txt” from the desktop back to the UrBackup program folder.
Clobber the original “server_idents.txt” file.
Start the UrBackup client service.
You may have to restart the tray client as well.
Or just reboot.

Wait a few minutes and the second server will find that client that was just modified.
The second server will start backing up that new client (new to the second server).
The second server’s backup will be identical to the first server’s backup because all specification of what to backup is done on the client.

If you look at the client’s “server_idents.txt” file after awhile you will see that the second server has added its encryption key following the new Server Identity code that you added.

That’s all there is to it.
Add the second servers identity string to the remaining clients and the second server will find them all and start backing them up.

If you desire you can turn off file or image backups on either server.
Or just images on one server and files on the other.
Beyond that there are virtual clients that permit entirely unique sets of backup parameters per client.
I know nothing about how to do that.
Each of my servers backs up the same thing from each client.

This permits one server to die while the other server keeps on backing up and if needed restoring files while the dead server is repaired.

All for now

1 Like

You mean the unicode of the file has to be correct. I think that is mentioned in the documentation.
If you don’t have notepad++ on windows, try it, it’s awesome!

Thank you!

This is EXACTLY what I did (except for copying server settings, why would I do that? What if I wanted to backup different things? Simply does not make sense to me), it connects exactly like you describe on both servers but after the second new server is done with the initial backup (full file) the original server then starts the next incremental file backup, but the backup is EVERYTHING again (+1TB) for about one day (should take less than 3 mins to run), but the actual data saved is less than a fraction of that, ie, to me it seems it just rehashes every single file again.

You mention both img and file backups. Is the backups you are running img or file?

Again, thank you for taking the time to type all that! :heart: