UrBackup Server & Client (on another machine) never connect with each other

Hello, this is my first post, so try to “be gentle.” I have read the “Please read before posting” message.

I am very new to UrBackup, but understand the concept of a single server being the coordination point for the actual backup of any number of clients on a network. In my specific instance, the server, and one of two clients, are on the same machine. That particular client works just fine with the server.

The other client is on a laptop that is connected to the same WiFi network as the machine with the server. That WiFi network is provided by T-Mobile’s latest wireless access point, an Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway, so that might be the issue, but I’m not sure.

Both the machine that has the server and client one, as well as the machine with non-connecting client two, are running Windows 11 22H2. The WiFi network is defined as Private on both machines. Both machines have IP addresses of the form 192.168.12.XXX. The UrBackup Server and Client software are freshly downloaded and are the very latest.

In discussing this with someone I know who uses UrBackup on his own LAN, he says that the detection of on-LAN clients is “virtually instant” when it’s working correctly.

Any theories, guidance, and assistance would be very much appreciated.

I’ve been trying every trick I can think of, and still no luck.

I thought the technique mentioned in this topic, Ho do you “add” clients?, about trying older versions of the UrBackup Client and having one of them “catch” and then updating the client might work, but it’s not for me. No version of UrBackup Client I’ve tried on a machine on my LAN that is not the same machine as the server is on is ever being recognized by the UrBackup Server.

Is there anything specific I could look for in the client logs (or server log) that might help in finding why communication cannot be established?

I will say that I have succeeded, but talk about an odd way of having to do so.

I have an ancient D-Link modem/router from the Verizon DSL days that I’ve kept so that I can create a non-internet connected LAN when I want to (which isn’t often). When I had both machines connected to the LAN managed by that modem-router, the connection between the server on the machine I’m writing from, and the client on another machine on the LAN was established almost instantly.

Then, I switched both machines back to the LAN that the T-Mobile wireless access point manages, and the connection remains intact.

I have no idea what it is about what the T-Mobile wireless AP is doing “under the hood” to prevent the initial client-server relationship from being established, but it seems perfectly happy to support it once it has.

It’s a clumsy workaround, but its one that actually worked for me!