UrBackup Server 2.0.28 RC/Client 2.0.27 RC

The major changes are described in the blog: http://blog.urbackup.org/223/new-in-urbackup-2-0-x

The portable Linux client is now build with glibc with a fallback to a ellcc (musl libc) binary which doesn’t have C+±exception support (yet). In my tests everything was functional and since most will be using the glibc binary, I hope this does not cause many problems.

Clients are now signed for Windows and OS X (or should I call that macOS now?).

Changes with server 2.0.28

• Further file backup read error handling fixes
  • Option to ignore read and hash errors
  • Check for syncfs and posix_spawn in configure and use fallback if not present
  • Optional embedded crypto++ for ease of compiling and packaging
  • Fix log rotation with logrotate.d
  • Update settings after setting backup folder

Changes with client 2.0.27

• Disable dattobd automatic installation
  • Include x86_64 glibc binary in Linux installer
  • Check for syncfs and posix_spawn in configure and use fallback if not present

Compatibility with prior versions

• 2.x server with 1.4.x client full compatibility (please report issues)
  • 2.x client with 1.4.x server works only in local network mode (not via internet mode)
  • Older client/server combinations may work but were not tested
  • 1.x restore does not work with 2.x servers (improved login method)

Upgrade process

As always: Replace the executables (via the installers) and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it. As always downgrading the database version after upgrading it is not possible, so you should backup the old database files especially since this is a beta.

Because of the improved file de-duplication and statistics calculation the largest server table has to be completely rebuild. This may take a few hours depending on how many file entries you have. It will show the progress on the web interface but is not usable during the upgrade process.

Linux notes:

• The wrapper scripts start_urbackup_server and start_urbackup_client have been removed. Please use the executable directly
  • The executable has been renamed to urbackupsrv (from urbackup_srv), the client to urbackupclientbackend (from urbackup_client)
  • There is a new command line interface for the client urbackupclientctl
  • All the plugins are now statically linked into one executable. This simplifies the compilation, debugging and packaging on Linux

Run the UrBackup server on Linux with e.g. urbackupsrv run --loglevel debug

Downloads

Not sure If I’m trying to upgrade too soon, but I downloaded 2.0.28RC for 64bit. I’m on Ubuntu 16.04 and I get the following error:

Preparing to unpack …/urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64.deb …
Unpacking urbackup-server (2.0.28.1496-1) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of urbackup-server:
urbackup-server depends on libcrypto++9; however:
Package libcrypto++9 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package urbackup-server (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu6) …
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
urbackup-server

1 Like

Those are more proper Debian packages now, so they may not work on Ubuntu (the ppa packages will work upon release). Does the unstable one also not work?

Unstable = similar error, except about libcrypto++6

Here is what I see with ubuntu 16.04:
apt-cache search libcrypto
libssl-dev - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - development files
libssl-doc - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - development documentation
libssl1.0.0 - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries
libssl1.0.0-dbg - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - debug information
libcrypto+±dev - General purpose cryptographic library - C++ development
libcrypto+±doc - General purpose cryptographic library - documentation
libcrypto+±utils - General purpose cryptographic library - utilities and data files
libcrypto++9v5 - General purpose cryptographic library - shared library
libcrypto++9v5-dbg - General purpose cryptographic library - debug symbols
libcryptokit-ocaml - cryptographic algorithm library for OCaml - runtime
libcryptokit-ocaml-dev - cryptographic algorithm library for OCaml - development

I have the same problems whit upgrade 27>28 beta in Ubuntu 16.04

it states perfectly clear DEBIAN on the download page… not ubuntu…
Do not expect that debian packages will work on ubuntu.

the package depends on libcrypto++9
not libcrypto++9v5…

Updated on Debian 8.3, no problem.

I’ve the same problem on Ubuntu 16.04.

Last version urbackup command (on 16.04) was
dpkg -i urbackup-server_2.0.27.0_amd64.deb

Wiki
“dpkg is the software at the base of the package management system in the free operating system Debian”

For me it is not “perfectly clear”
I will wait for Ubuntu version.

what i meant: in the download folder it stats debian…
https://www.urbackup.org/downloads/Server/2.0.28/debian/stable/

only because ubuntu can install .deb packages it does not mean that they are compatible…
in fact most of the packages aren’t compatible because ubuntu stores some files in different folders than debian and uses other package versions of libs…
suse and redhat are both using rpm as packages… are they compatible? nope not at all…

1 Like

The real question is: uroni thinks to release Ubuntu package?

Perhaps the new cross-platform snap packager will be useful, at least for the server.

Go ahead :).

My bet is that will be Ubuntu only and the Red Hat backed solution (flatpak) will win like with upstart and systemd ;).

Not to mention that I can just link it all statically together and the result would be the same.

And the reason crypto++ is not linked statically in this release is so it can get security updates without needing to update UrBackup.

I hacked it for Ubuntu 16.04, here is the recipe (adapted from the Ubuntu forums):

mkdir urbackup-server-ubuntu-hack
cd urbackup-server-ubuntu-hack
wget https://www.urbackup.org/downloads/Server/2.0.28/debian/stable/urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64.deb
dpkg-deb -x urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64.deb ubuntu-16.04-hack
dpkg-deb --control urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64.deb ubuntu-16.04-hack/DEBIAN
nano ubuntu-16.04-hack/DEBIAN/control #change libcrypto++9 to libcrypto++9v5
dpkg -b ubuntu-16.04-hack urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64+ubuntu-16.04.deb
dpkg -i ./urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64+ubuntu-16.04.deb

What you are doing here is changing the dependancy package from libcrypto++9 to libcrypto++9v5

P.S. I’m not sure if this will work long-term. The hacked package installed fine, but I’m not sure if this will cause any strange issues (or eat your data)… Use at your own risk.

Enjoy, and thank uroni for the EXCELLENT software!

OR, just ignore all that work and type this (make sure libcrypto++9v5 is installed!)

dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libcrypto++9 ./urbackup-server_2.0.28_amd64.deb

Ah, the simple pleasures of learning new stuff!

1 Like

Be aware that this could lead to crashes as I think the reason Debian changed the name to libcrypto++9v5 was that it was compiled with a newer gcc with an ABI change.

1 Like

I also found out I could install libcrypto++9 directly from the debian repos. I had to uninstall libcrypto++9v5, but I did not have any other software installed that needed it.

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libc/libcrypto++/libcrypto++9_5.6.1-6+deb8u2_amd64.deb