UrBackup Server 2.0.27 beta (updated)/Client 2.0.26 beta (updated 4x)

The major changes are described in the blog: http://blog.urbackup.org/223/new-in-urbackup-2-0-x

The portable Linux client doesn’t have C+±exception support (yet). In my tests everything was functional but this is something that must be resolved before releasing a non-beta version.

Changes with server 2.0.27 beta

• Disable file entry debugging log messages
  • Fix: Write symbolic link orig path
  • Do not try to add sparse file entries for special and symlink files
  • Reset timeout on image backup disconnect to initial value
  • Log block differences download into backup log, not client log
  • Limit number of reconnect tries for chunked transfer to 50
  • Collect file read errors and log them before the next file backup
  • Optionally get http proxy from config file as well
  • Improved read error handling during file backup

Changes with server 2.0.26 beta

• Include client access key in Linux/Mac OS X client download
  • Fix cleanup and repair commands
  • File restore fixes
  • Correctly handle directory links when browsing with access tokens
  • Show loading screen after starting restore from web interface

Changes with client 2.0.26 beta

• Fix read error handling when transferring whole block

Changes with client 2.0.25 beta

• Fix small memory leak
  • Set tar file correctly when resuming
  • Add Fedora dattobd support, update CentOS dattobd install (untested)
  • Improved read error handling during file backup

Changes with client 2.0.24 beta

• Fix potential race condition in image backup read-ahead
  • Limit max number of reconnect tries for chunked transfer to 50
  • Collect file read errors and log them before the next file backup

Changes with client 2.0.23 beta

• Fix single folder restore (click restore button on the right to a folder on the web interface)

Changes with client 2.0.22 beta

• Use restart instead of stop/start to not kill the installer during update on Linux with systemd
  • Propagate path mappings during restore
  • Lots of file restore fixes
  • Do not treat reparse points that are not symbolic links or mount points on Windows as special files
  • Get first backup status from backend quicker
  • Disable all capabilities before getting capabilities from backend

Todo

• UEFI/GPT testing

Compatibility with prior versions

• 2.x server with 1.4.x client full compatibility (please report issues)
  • 2.x client with 1.4.x server works only in local network mode (not via internet mode)
  • Older client/server combinations may work but were not tested
  • 1.x restore does not work with 2.x servers (improved login method)

Upgrade process

As always: Replace the executables (via the installers) and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it. As always downgrading the database version after upgrading it is not possible, so you should backup the old database files especially since this is a beta.

Because of the improved file de-duplication and statistics calculation the largest server table has to be completely rebuild. This may take a few hours depending on how many file entries you have. It will show the progress on the web interface but is not usable during the upgrade process.

Linux notes:

• The wrapper scripts start_urbackup_server and start_urbackup_client have been removed. Please use the executable directly
  • The executable has been renamed to urbackupsrv (from urbackup_srv), the client to urbackupclientbackend (from urbackup_client)
  • There is a new command line interface for the client urbackupclientctl
  • All the plugins are now statically linked into one executable. This simplifies the compilation, debugging and packaging on Linux

Run the UrBackup server on Linux with e.g. urbackupsrv run --loglevel debug

Downloads

Hi, Ok i have upgraded and will revert with issues/findings

I’ve been on 2.0.26 for a couple of days now, and no issues to report thus far. Keep in mind, I’m only using “file backups” mostly with external “interenet” clients.

As always, I’ll report if I notice anything odd.

BTW: I’m up to 110 client machines!

Hi,

I’m in the same situation as AETCO also 2.0.26 with only internet based clients with no issues to report on File backups so far.

I’ve noticed on Windows clients that the tray icon seems to duplicate each time the job runs overnight. I left one alone for a week and checked it, it had 7 defunct icons all lined up in the tray.
Anyone else notice this?

@ninja6o4

Yes, the same happens here. It’s the old windows bug that’s been around since good-old windows '98. You just have to move your mouse over the icons and they disappear. I don’t know if there is much uroni can do about it…

I’m seeing some strange behaviour related with quotas. I have a 370Gb partition for testing with a few computers. The filesystem is btrfs.
Urbackup tells me that there are 540Gb of backups, that could be ok due to the deduplication urbackup does, but if I enforce the quota of one of the users, I receive warnings like this:
Quota enforcement report for client "David" (id=1) Client uses 406.189 GB and has a quota of 150 GB This requires enforcement of the quota. Error. Target space is negative
Also I think there should be some clarification about space usage and quotas: maybe we should know the real usage (without taking into account deduplication) and have the option of setting the quota based on real space usage.