UrBackup Server 2.0.14 beta/Client 2.0.12 beta

Most of the changes are described in the blog: http://blog.urbackup.org/223/new-in-urbackup-2-0-x

The portable Linux client doesn’t have C+±exception support (yet). In my tests everything was functional but this is something that must be resolved before releasing a non-beta version.

Changes with server 2.0.14 beta

• Correctly handle zero length chunks in block hash transfer again
  • Do not consider download as failed if only downloading meta-data fails
  • Add warning that LDAP/AD is still experimental
  • Small file optimization for tar file backup
  • Fixed segfault in connection with sparse extent and block hash transfer
  • Allow enabling of integrated log rotation on Linux server
  • Added fake meta-data for script transfers
  • Set original path for script and tar file transfers
  • Fix symbolic link browsing and restore
  • Propagate full file backup result correctly if started by incremental file backup

Changes with client 2.0.12 beta

• Implemented hard link deletion tracking
  • Fix restore segfault/asserts
  • Added postgresql dump and base-backup scripts
  • Let “last” denote the last complete file backup on urbackupclientctl command line
  • Fix Symbolic link restore

Todo

• UEFI/GPT testing

Compatibility with prior versions

• 2.x server with 1.4.x client full compatibility (please report issues)
  • 2.x client with 1.4.x server works only in local network mode (not via internet mode)
  • Older client/server combinations may work but were not tested
  • 1.x restore does not work with 2.x servers (improved login method)

Upgrade process

As always: Replace the executables (via the installers) and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it. As always downgrading the database version after upgrading it is not possible, so you should backup the old database files especially since this is a beta.

Because of the improved file deduplication and statistics calculation the largest server table has to be completely rebuild. This may take a few hours depending on how many file entries you have. It will show the progress on the web interface but is not usable during the upgrade process.

Linux notes:

• The wrapper scripts start_urbackup_server and start_urbackup_client have been removed. Please use the executable directly
  • The executable has been renamed to urbackupsrv (from urbackup_srv), the client to urbackupclientbackend (from urbackup_client)
  • There is a new command line interface for the client urbackupclientctl
  • All the plugins are now statically linked into one executable. This simplifies the compilation, debugging and packaging on Linux

Run the UrBackup server on Linux with e.g. urbackupsrv run --loglevel debug

Downloads

1 Like

Hi,

as I am writing my first post in this community let me first thank you for this great piece of software. I have been using the stable version for quite some time without any hickups.

I tried 2.0.12 a couple of days ago and updated with each new beta. One error that never showed up in the stable version is a "Error setting file time of " Message in the log files (several thousand of them).

UrBackup is running in a BSD jail with the backup on a mounted ZFS dataset. When i su as the urbackup user I can change file timestamps using
touch -a -m -t 201512180130.09 testfile
without any problems.

Is this a known bug?

Regards,

Lars

Urbackup server 2.0.14 beta rpm for CentOS 7 https://yadi.sk/d/tge4MPWbrUgf8

It’s this function that fails: https://github.com/uroni/urbackup_backend/blob/dev/urbackupcommon/os_functions_lin.cpp#L715
It has FreeBSD specific code… what client(s) OSs are you backing up?

Hello,

My SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 13 died, and I got my SSD replaced on warranty, and I have just restored my laptop back to Windows 10 after being reinstalled at service to fabric settings with Win8.

Everything works after using restore ISO, but now my question is, did it restore lastest image + file backup or only image?
And if it did not recover file backup, what i best practice to recover files from file backup if needed?

Best regards
Søren

I do believe that it only restored the image backup.

You should be able to go in to the web interface, select the file backup that you wish to restore and restore those backup paths via the file restoration option and be back to where you were at that backup.

Does that Laptop have a UEFI boot loader and/or GPT partition formatting. I want to cross that off the Todo “list” :slight_smile:

Do you need someone to test UEFI restores? I could put that on my to-do list for this week.

Would be great! Thanks!

I am running FreeNas 9.10 (based on FreeBSD 10.3). Urbackup is running in a jail (also based on 10.3), the ZFS dataset is mounted inside the jail. If you need to test anything in my environment I could help out.

yes my Yoga 13 is using GPT and UEFI

I tried to make it restore whole c drive from webinterface, that messed it all up, all my icons stopped working, and many things broke.

After af new image restore everything is running fine.

Is this normal when you restore whole C:\ drive?

There were a few bugs with restore in this scenario. Fixed with Server 2.0.15/Client 2.0.13.