UrBackup / NGINX Reverse Proxy / Docker / Internet Mode

Has anyone been able to get Internet Mode to work with UrBackup through NGINX Reverse proxy Manager?

I can get the server to dicover the client locally, but not through the proxy address.

Changing anything in the nginx conf for proxy_pass results in nginx completely going down

1 Like

I feel your pain. I’m using UnRAID with SWAG and getting nowhere.

I can access the GUI remotely. But backups not happening.

So, I somewhat got it half way working. I can now connect to the server atleast, but no backups are happening.
What I did to test this is I opened all the necessary ports on my router and did direct access to the server using a new add client config. Nothing was happening, so I did some messing around turns out I needed to restart urbackup server after making changes to the IP and server port. I just used the regular config (no NGINX proxy yet), and voila, it connected and initiated backup. So I killed everything and changed my settings around now that I knew I had to restart the server after any changes to internet settings. So I remove the open ports on the router, kept NGINX in place and the config I currently have is:

Server-Side:

Client Side:

• Downloaded preconfigured config
  • Applied internet only mode in the extra args txt file (be careful if you have previously install a windows client agent as once you install another agent (even after removing the previous one), the auth key stays as the old agent install and does not replace it with the new one). (Im assuming this is something that has been overlooked in the design of the windows client and windows is dumb and doesnt know how to clean up old files of old installs properly). So remove with Revo Uninstaller Portable as it can find old install files.

Says “Connected to Server”, but no backups start.

Maybe @uroni or someone else has some insight as to why this may be. It definitely has to do with the proxy since going direct connects just fine.

@Kold Edit** Looks like based on one of @uroni previous posts on a similar topic, urbackup needs a forward proxy that supports CONNECT requests (proxy_connect) to establish an open connection to the server. NGINX doesnt natively supports this but im looking into a few secure solutions to achieve this and will report back if ive found a noteable solution.

1 Like

Hi. Have you been able to make progress on this?

UrBackup 2.5.x supports connecting via websocket ( Testing - UrBackup - Discourse ). It should be easier to setup compared to setting up a HTTP CONNECT proxy.

UPDATED: Ok, I think the access denied is because the windows preconfigured installer when you uninstall it is leaving some config files some where. I reinstalled and it seems to be still trying to go to a different port I was testing with HAproxy. So it seems that issue is a windows client UrBackup install issue for the Access denied error when trying to view Access/restore backups from a client.

The real issue I am having now is performance of backups. Is there a special way to create the share to be used by UrBackup on the Qnap? I even configured the client to use the dedicated ports and it is just painfully slow like 128k slow! So, hopefully someone has details that will fix the speed I really don’t want to have to use a large heat pumping, AC pulling server just for backups.

Original post:
@uroni I found a post and I managed to get HAproxy working using an Opnsense Firewall running HAproxy going to a DMZ UrBackup server 2.5.30 using port 55414 using wss://server/socket.

The issue I am having is backups seem really really slow and the gui doesn’t show speed and refresh like it did. Do I need to do something different to get better speed and to get the interface to show in real-time?

The other issue I noticed is from the windows client I can get to the gui, but it give the error:
Access denied
Sorry, something went wrong or you do not have the required rights to access this file or folder.(token_decryption_failed)
[Login with username and password]

Hi @dfwtxn would you mind sharing your HAProxy config file or the post where you found the information to get it working. I can’t seem to find that post anywhere. I have been struggling for days.
I can access the web page, but cannot get the client to connect.
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks