Unable to restore data in sub/large directories

Hello all. Been using UrBackup for a year plus now and it has saved me numerous times with file level restores. In the past the restore I used was for single file or folder etc. Recently we had a workstation disappear (stolen) and we received a request to restore the entire c:\data folder. UrBackup server (2.1.19) shows all green and has a good history of the backup points. I was shocked to find that I could not restore this persons data for them at the highest level.

Here is how I tried to do it: Using filezilla over sftp/ssh I connected to the UrBackup server and browsed to the data folder (nfs mount on FreeNAS) and tried to restore. This particular client contains about 20GB of data. The amount restored was just under 2GB. We ended up having to go folder by folder to get everything restored. This was a tedious process to say the least, I cannot imagine doing this on a multi terabyte install (we have several). Its as if filezilla cannot follow the tree/symlnks properly.

As a workaround we also installed the backup client on the replacement workstation and then tried the restore from the client side/sys-tray. This resulted in the entire folder structure being recreated on the client (good) but all of the folders were empty(bad).

I just tried this again on a test machine here in the lab and I can reproduce the issue on all of my clients/data. I am almost certain that it is a symlink issue but I am not sure how to get around this or fix it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hello

Even if the files are available as so on the server, you shouldn’t try to restore them from there using scp or so.
If there’s < 2GB you could have used a zip file, but for 20Gb restoring from a zip file wouldn’t work.

For > 2GB, better use the client. (plus i am suspicious about zip capabilities to store all metadata properly)
In my mind the easiest is allow server-confirm in the agent config , so it s a one click restore from the web ui.

When you browse from the web ui, are the files there?
If you put the logs in verbose , do they contains any error?

Hey Orogor, thanks for the reply. Unless something changed, I though uroni recommended similar methods no?

Anyhow, we did test with a restore from the client and it ended up restoring all the directories but NONE of their contents. Any ideas?

As i said; can you browse the files in the web ui ?
Do you put the logs in verbose mode, do they show some errors?

The web ui DOES show the files based on the backup date/folder path and all appear to be there. So on the surface everything looks good. Forgive the stupid question but I do not know how to enable verbose logs, how do I do that?

Hi

I think on windows there s a .bat file to do that in program files folder.
Else you need to edit a config file

OK so Im digging around in /var/urbackup and I see all sorts of files but nothing that I find or edit contains logging level. I reviewed the logs at /var/log/urbackup.log and find no errors/issues when trying to restore.

What would you try next?

hi

On linux you can set LOGLEVEL=debug

For client:
/etc/default/urbackupclient

For server
/etc/default/urbackupsrv

OK so regardless of log level, I am using filezilla/sftp/ssh directly to the UrBackup server so there is nothing in the logs.

Hello

Please enable the debug log, then restore using the client (or start restore from web ui, it easier)
Then if there’s an issue, post at least portions of the log files here.

As i said. For many reasons, hitting the server directly with with ftp has very few chances of working when you want to restore large amount of datas, so you need to use the client.

I have the server set to debug and located the .bat for the client side. For a real world test I’d like to do a full restore using the client to a new machine. My thought is: new PC/VM and then install the client run a blank backup once, then via the client, do a full restore. Correct?

OK so on a working/test client I right clicked the task try icon and chose “Access/restore backups” and I am then taken to a browser tab with the error “this site cant be reached”, here is a shortned error: “http://urb.example.com/#tokens0=R/RDQABrKUfoqWO/J2Vapgdxc…” I wonder what the issue is. The server name is pingable/browseable on port 55415 like any normal UrB install.

i think it should be like
http://urb.example.com:55415/#tokens0=R/RDQABrKUfoqWO/J2Vapgdxc

maybe if it s internet client check what’s configured on that tab