Unable to Add Linux Client (/usr/local/var/urbackup/pw.txt)

I recently installed UrBackup server onto a Windows Server 2019 virtual machine. I’m able to access the Status page, and I’ve specified the Backup storage path.

I’ve also installed the client onto an Arch-based virtual machine (via AUR). The client and server are on the same LAN, and I can ping one VM from the other to verify network connectivity.

However, I’m having some difficulty getting my first client to connect to the server. When I enter urbackupclientctl status on the client VM, I receive this:

➜  ~ urbackupclientctl status
urbackupclientctl: No such file or directory
Cannot read backend password from /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw.txt

The same error appears when attempting to use other options for the urbackupclientctl command.

I also tried going to the Status page, selecing “Download client for Linux”, and running the downloaded script on the client VM. However, that didn’t resolve the issue either. The script seems to assume that the client VM was running RHEL. I’m not sure how to remedy that.

When I enter urbackupclientgui , I receive this:

➜  ~ urbackupclientgui
Could not load password file!

After looking around online, I ran into this thread:

which appears to have no answer. I really want to use this UrBackup in the future. But, I can’t do so if I can’t solve this initial configuration issue. Has anyone encountered and resolved this?

I tried running urbackupclientctl set-settings as well, and received this error message:

➜  urbackup urbackupclientctl set-settings --name <VM_NAME> --server-url <SERVER_NAME> --authkey <AUTH_KEY>
urbackupclientctl: No such file or directory
Cannot read backend password from /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw_change.txt

Can I fix this by just creating empty files in the mentioned directory, named “pw.txt” and “pw_change.txt” ? A previous user appears to have tried something similar, but to no avail…

I was touching on this in my feature request a few days ago. (I am doing tests to move from rasberry pi os to Manjaro-arm)

There IS no directory called urbackupclientctl, the binary is called that, is that missing? (see further down about my experience about this binary)

Both server and client uses the SAME directory when compiling from source (I get errors using aur, so I compile from source but they probably use the same ./configuration) and installing the binary client on the same machine.
It’s a mess.
BOTH use “urbackup” as their directories. /usr/local/var/urbackup

On my raspberry pi os the server gets installed to /var/urbackup at least, keeping the files separated.

This might have something to do with this, but I’m absolutely not sure.

The path to my urbackupclientbackend binary is in /usr/local/sbin/urbackupclientbackend.
If I changed the prefix at install to use /usr the binary refuses to get installed but presents no errors or warnings when installing! The other binaries gets installed in /usr/bin though. Could this be the case for you as well?

What does which urbackuplientbackend show?

There IS no directory called urbackupclientctl, the binary is called that, is that missing? (see further down about my experience about this binary)

The urbackupclientctl binary is there. It’s saying that the files /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw_change.txt and /usr/local/var/urbackup/pw.txt don’t exist.

On my raspberry pi os the server gets installed to /var/urbackup at least, keeping the files separated.
This might have something to do with this, but I’m absolutely not sure.

I’ve only installed the client on the Linux VM that I’m troubleshooting. The server is on a different VM in my setup.

What does which urbackuplientbackend show?

I’ll have to test that in a few hours. I’ll let you know what I find.

OMFG, I just realized we are talking about 2 completely different things.
I should stop typing posts when I should be asleep.

I have no input in this, lol, you are talking about the urbackupclientCTL and GUI, I never use either of them.
My servers are headless sooo…
And from what I have understood from reading other posts here on the forum on how settings on client can create strange behavior, server side settings is what I always do.

Sorry about the confusion.

But maybe just try creating the files. The question is what they should contain.

I’ll see what I can do on my end. But I’ve also noticed that I can’t get the agent/client to autostart. I’m of the opinion that I’m out of luck if I’m not using systemd in all cases :frowning:

I’m a bit confused about your post.
Does it not work to make ALL the settings on the server web gui?

What I mean is to NOT use urbackupblientctl but rather set everything serverside that the client then adopts automatically. Does that not work?

Unfortunately, nothing that I tried on server side helped :frowning: I’ve moved to a different solution for the time being. I wish that I could go more into detail about what went wrong, but it’s been a while since I last attempted this. If better support for distros like Artix comes around, I may be willing to test again.