Ubuntu 22.04 support

@Eric_Ramsey am I right thinking that you simply missed 22.04 repository in OBS?

Your problem with PPA has nothing to do with UrBackup, it’s just the way PPA works for all packages. I believe it’s explained in UrBackup’s documentation too.

Here is the official repository for 22.04:
https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Auroni&package=urbackup-server

This still seems to be an issue for 22.04 (jammy)

Yup, even building from source doesn’t help; full traceback from the segfault in my thread at Ubuntu 22.04 cilent build of v2.4.11.0 segfaults - #4 by pjz

Hi @meichthys. Which particular issue do you mean? There is a couple of different things in this thread.

I still could not get Urback up to install on Ubuntu 22.04. Even with the linked repository that you posted I just could not seem to get it to work. I ended up downgrading Ubuntu to 20.04 and things work fine.

As a sidenote, that also prevent me from upgrading to Linux Mint 21. The upgrade tool state that jammy isn’t supported.
I hope this is fixed soon

Still unable to install cleanly on Ubuntu 22.04.

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/uroni/urbackup/ubuntu jammy Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Whilst there is a workaround to install manually it would be really nice to get this fixed properly.

@evoelise It is fixed since at least April 30. Or one could say that it was never broken, it’s just how PPA works. How about actually reading UrBackup docs, previous answers in this thread or at least what is on UrBackup download page? And then install packages properly via official repository?

@Michal I realise what you are saying. But…

actually reading UrBackup docs

Yes, these plainly state:

2.1.2 Server installation on Ubuntu
Install the UrBackup Server via running following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:uroni/urbackup
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install urbackup-server

previous answers in this thread

The previous answers on this thread are not clear - nowhere in this thread does it clearly state what to do.

And then install packages properly via official repository?

This is what I have done and have done in the past.
Still a “apt-get update” would be better, especially for new users, or those not experienced with more complicated installations. Unless the aim of this is to make it so that the use of URBACKUP is limited to those that can spare the time to realise the documentation is wrong, to sift through the forums and extra download documentation, with with the experience to experiment until they actually work out how to install it. Most new users I expect wouldn’t bother…

@evoelise Oh dear… OK one last time.

From UrBackup page:

If the package is not available at the Launchpad PPA please use the OpenSuSE build service link below.

Any good reason you are ignoring that part?

From UrBackup page:

The package won’t be available on the PPA for Ubuntu versions released after the UrBackup server release.

UrBackup Server 2.4.15 was released on 22.01.2022 and Ubuntu 22.04 was released on 21.04.2022. You do the math. I know it sucks, but again, it is HOW LAUNCHPAD PPA WORKS and Canonical is responsible for that - not uroni.

How about here https://forums.urbackup.org/t/ubuntu-22-04-support/11262/21?u=michal

Not quite. See my answer quoted above or docs (UrBackup download page).

Reading the paragraph just below the commands you copy/paste would be enough (UrBackup download page).

In other words: forget PPA, forget manual downloads. Use the OFFICIAL (as in provided and linked by uroni) repository from OpenSUSE Build Service - links on OFFICIAL UrBackup download site.

That is not mentioned in the user guide for installation - UrBackup - Server administration manual

1 Like

Also, there’s no updated client for linux available, even on the opensuse site.

Good point @pjz that repository is for UrBackup Server only.

Hello,
A very basic question.
My situation: VM in the cloud with Ubuntu 22.04(fresh install and up to date) with Urbackup server 2.5.25 only, ufw disabled, internet mode.
The client: Win10Pro 21H2, urbackup cient 2.5.19, downloaded from the server, the auth key is ok.
First time, I tried with default settings (WanIP), and also with port settings(ex. 50300) without success, on the GUI client status offline, the only message is: Connected to Internet server.
Nothing in the logs on the client and the server.
What did i forget, or where is the mistake?
Thank You. Adam

Updateted:
Downgraded on the server to version 2.5.24, the backup is working flowless.
What have I done wrong, any ideas?

With the new versions: server 2.5.26 and client 2.5.20 with the default port settings it’s working again.
Thank You @uroni

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.