Ubuntu 22.04 Server Fails to Boot After UrBackup Client Installation with Snapshot Type 4 (Linux Device Mapper)

I recently installed the UrBackup Client on my Ubuntu 22.04 server, opting for Snapshot Type 4 - Linux Device Mapper for my backups. During the installation, I was prompted to convert the system to use initramfs, to which I responded “yes”.

No VM guests are running outdated hypervisor (qemu) binaries on this host. ## Install libdevmapper1.02.1 for snapshotting device Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig libdevmapper1.02.1 ist schon die neueste Version (2:1.02.175-2.1ubuntu4). libdevmapper1.02.1 wurde als manuell installiert festgelegt. Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt: linux-headers-5.15.0-101 linux-headers-5.15.0-101-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-78 linux-headers-5.15.0-78-generic linux-image-5.15.0-101-generic linux-image-5.15.0-78-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-101-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-78-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-101-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-78-generic Verwenden Sie »sudo apt autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen. 0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 11 nicht aktualisiert. 

Convert root device into device mapper device on boot (initramfs)? This is required for root device/filesystem backup. [Y/n]

After this configuration, the server fails to boot, and I’m encountering a specific error message during the startup process.

The error message indicates that the root device is recognized as a snapshot and advises modifying the root= boot parameter to point to the actual root device instead of the snapshot. It also suggests adding ‘setup-snapshot=0’ to the boot parameters to correct the boot issue. The exact error message displayed is:

Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
urbackup_setup_snapshot: Root device is snapshot (clobbered: /dev/mapper/root-98d1fb8f1f435). Please edit root= boot parameter to be the root device and add 'setup-snapshot=0' to boot parameters to fix boot. Then run 'update-grub' to fix grub.

I’m stuck at this point and am unsure how to proceed with editing the boot parameters effectively or how to ensure that my server can boot properly without losing any data. Any guidance on how to resolve this boot issue would be greatly appreciated.

It depends a bit. If you are using grub and can change entries during boot press E (for edit). Then change the /dev/mapper/… in the kernel line to /dev/sda2 or something (though the exact disk depends) also add setup-snapshot=0 to the kernel line as written.

Good morning!

I think IT should be
linux /vmlinuz-5.15.0-106-generic root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-lv--ubuntu ro setup-snapshot=0 but IT dindt Work.

If i try uuid i get this

Blkid Output is this

It’s probably /dev/nvme0n1p2

Hey, thx for replying me.

I was trying that but i cant boot ;(

I am confused about that :
Mounting /dev

In the end, I finally solved it. It was very exhausting but I managed it. I had to reverse the whole process but now it works again.