Trying to mount an image as a VM

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I have been using Infscape/URbackup now for some time, and it truly has been great. I have a project, where I could use Urbackup as a temporary recovery platform by using the VM functionality of the appliance. I was able to back up a bare metal PC with a complete image and incremental file backup. I then using the VM function, created the VM and was able to see it go through the process of creation and mounting, followed by the remote screen. In the remote screen, the VM can b e seen booting with the Windows boot screen, and then after a short time, it goes to a black screen with cursor… After this it goes no further. I have not seen much in the way of documentation, so I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem. Myt version of the appliance is Infscape UrBackup Appliance 1.11.3 Rev. 10a1d4e1b5 and I currently have it on VMware ESXi 8 with 6 CPU Cores, and 12 Gig of memory. Any ideas or help would be great! Thanks averyone :slight_smile:

Best,

Eric G.

Will look into this.

Meanwhile, do you have nested virtualization enabled?

Good Morning Martin,

Thanks so much for your quick reply, and for looking into the issue. I could be looking in all the wrong places, however I am unable to find where nested virtualization can be enabled. Unfortunately I was not able to find very much in my web searches. If there is a resource that I am missing, and you could point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Eric

Hello Martin,

I was able to tinker around with the VM situation today a bit more and was able to find a little bit of information that related to nested virtualization. I was able to create/modify the /etc/modeprobe.d/kvm.conf file and then run the commands necessary to confirm that nested virtualization was running. I deleted the VM, and then created it again, and actually got to the point of having the Win10 VM boot and then get to “setting up devices”. After that finished, it got to the Windows troubleshooter as it did not get to finish booting. It looks like I am close, but still need some tweaking to get it to work.

Kind Regards,

Eric

Hi All,

In between things I had a chance to work on this issue a bit more and seem to have found the issues that were show stoppers. First I enabled Hardware Virtualization in VmWare (Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS), and I bumped up the memory and also the number of CPU cores as allowed by the free version of VmWare (now no longer available - ugh!). I was able to spin up one of the backup images of a PC and get it to connect via NAT. Now if there were only a way to connect with the image’s native IP subnet (probably via a second nic added to the appliance) then this would be a complete win. I’m going to give the latter a try, and if someone else has any ideas, I’m totally open to suggestions. I like Urbackup quite a bit…

Best,

Eric