Trying to compile the client for armhf - make errors out

Hi,
I decided to try urbackup for the Intranet, just installed the server on a x64 Ubuntu server. Main load will be Windows machines.

We also have several SBC’s for different purposes, such as gateways, print servers, some IoT related tasks etc. We want urbackup-client to run on these for directory/file backup (e.g. logs, IoT data etc). The devices are based on armhf. For example the one I’m working on is an Orange Pi running Armbian (Ubuntu 20.x based):

uname -a
Linux hk-iot 5.8.16-sunxi #20.08.14 SMP Tue Oct 20 22:15:32 CEST 2020 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I wanted to compile the client as per instructions but with minor changes for my setup:

_VER=2.4.10
apt install build-essential “g++” libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev “libcrypto+±dev” libz-dev
apt install libzstd-dev
wget https://hndl.urbackup.org/Client/2.4.10/urbackup-client-${_VER}.tar.gz
tar xzf urbackup-client-${_VER}.tar.gz
cd urbackup-client-${_VER}.0
./configure
make -j4

The compilation error I get is:

sqlite/sqlite3.c: In function ‘sqlite3VdbeExec’:
sqlite/sqlite3.c:90236:1: internal compiler error: Bus error
90236 | }
| ^
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-9/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:2168: sqlite/urbackupclientbackend-sqlite3.o] Error 1

Any pointers will be much appreciated.
Bülent Özden

Not enough memory. Try make (without -j4). If that doesn’t help add swap. If that doesn’t help you need to cross compile. The binary Linux client should work on ARM btw.

Thank you, I suspected that, the code line has some mention of not enough memory.

I didn’t know that the binary could work on SBC’s, I saw a couple of related posts and didn’t try. I’ll give it a try now.

I confirm that the binary Linux client works well with my setup (Orange Pi with Armbian).

One problem I had: I could not make dattobd work. It is not yet Ubuntu 20.x / kernel 5.8.x compatible and fails to compile… So I disabled it for now.

I must check on this later for the coming release of urbackup which will include full image linux backup (afaik)…

Thank you again for providing the solution.