I am currently using CommVault to backup approximately 100-120TB of data to on-prem servers/storage arrays. That data is then written to tape and sent offsite periodically. The customers requirement is the data be retained for 10 years.
Currently we only do file backups on our servers, but we really want to do image backups of both our servers and client machines. Since CommVault has a per TB licensing structure, the cost is already silly in my opinion and adding image backups for all the clients would be even more crazy.
I want your honest opinion on if you believe this would be a viable alternative for my situation. We have approximately 120 servers and 1200 client machines at various locations around the world. The backup server and storage array is on-prem for each site and would handle the backups of that site. The total data load I’m guessing would balloon to 200TB or more if we are taking full backup images of everything. The backup and large data (ex. file) servers are all on 10gb network.
Our standard backup schedule is to take incremental backups of the server data on Monday through Thursday. We then take a full backup on Friday and write to tape on the last Sunday of the Month.
Image backups we will only do on an as-needed basis (before a major change is made to the system), and we are really only interested in keeping the last good copy rather than multiple instances of it, unless of course it uses data de-duplication/incremental images and doesn’t take up a lot more disk space.
My other questions:
- Does this use data deduplication for the backup images and “regular” data backups?
- Does this support backing up to tape? I know this is old-school, and I’d love to see us move to off-site disk based backup at some point in the future, but this is what we have now.
- Can the client be deployed and backup jobs initiated remotely from the server?
- Is there any issue running this on an on-prem server/storage array with no internet connection?
- What is the cost for this type of setup (software…I know what hardware we’ll need ). I realize you might not be able to give me that info in the forum…but if there’s a contact I can reach out to that would be awesome.
Thanks everyone in advance for your help!