System Hangs During Backup on OS X 10.11.6

On a clean install of OS X 10.11.6, on an AD joined computer, the entire system becomes unresponsive for ~10 minutes while the backup is running. I have completely wiped the hard drive and reinstalled OS X then joined AD and added my AD account to the admin and wheel groups. The hang occurs as soon as the backup starts and lasts until the backup finishes.

I’m currently running UrBackup Server 2.0.36 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and UrBackup Client 2.0.34.

Does this only happen once the client is connected to AD? Does it completely freeze or could you do something like an dtruss on the background process?

I tested it by immediately install UrBackup as soon as I completed the first login setup. The backup seemed to complete without issue. I then did 4 incremental backups all without issue. Next I joined the computer to AD, rebooted, and logged in with my AD credentials and added myself to the admin and wheel groups. I did one backup and that seemed to run fine. I then copied some files to my home folder and ran another backup. Then the system began to hang. All subsequent backups exhibit the same behavior.

How do I dtruss the process?

dtruss -f -p `pidof urbackupclientbackend`

should do the trick. It shows the syscalls, and maybe we’ll see which system calls cause the operating system bug that makes the system hang.

Hello
My installation on OSX 10.9 also have this behavior - my test installation is connected both to AD and OD.
In my observations it happens only during indexing part, and this is not freez because active application works fine until access to hard drive. Then it became unresponsive. And seems that backup client in some way refuses other processes to disk access. During this time nothing can be done that need hdd access.

I followed your suggestion to run dtruss - however - output is a quite a bit large. Is there anything that should I look for in this log?

cheers
cubek

A few lines while it is not responsive should be enough.

I’ve got a dtruss output file. Where can I send it?

PM or to martin@urbackup.org

I sent you a PM with the output attached.

Hmm, guessing, but could be the getattrlist calls when doing readlink. Here are some others having this problem: http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/155309

Could you run sudo spindump while it is unresponsive, as they are doing?

I will try and post back the results here.

I sent you another PM with the spindump results.

Could not find anything in the spindump, but then I am no apple expert.

Any other suggestions? I really don’t want to accept defeat here.

This is just an question as I have no clue about Macintosh really, but are you backing up the entire file-system from root or just a directory?

With advanced options, does enabling/disabling the background priority have any change on the system?

Do you have any anti-virus; permissions and verification that the disk is still good before and after that backup that hangs?

Does it only give you this problem while you are on AD, or does it still give you this trouble while it is off of AD?

Did you bump the Server up to 2.1.X Beta in this time frame, or are you still on 2.0.36 Stable?

Could it be a possibility to backup a Time Machine backup, or does Time Machine do something other than what I think it does – keeping a backup of files from before. At least as a bypass?