Suggestions for backing 19 windows servers

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions on a setup to backup 19 windows 2008 R2 servers. They are currently physical machines, but by the time I move to urbackup they will be virtual. I am a windows guy for the most part but I do have some experience with linux as well as freenas. Here is what I was thinking to do

1. Setup a freenas box

2. Install urbackup on freenas

3. Install clients on all servers and then have urbackup clients backup to freenas box

4. Setup second freenas box

5. setup 1st freenas box to replicate to second frenass box

6. After first replication, move second freenas box to offsite location that has connectivity back to main office for offsite backup

The other option is to do the exact same thing, but instead use windows servers instead of freenas and use the windows server plugin from urbackup. I would be using the Change block tracking on all my servers as well.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn’t overdo it with replication and stuff because that’s another thing to manage.
Set agents to backup to the 2 server, it s simpler
Search the forums for how to seed remote backups.

Set policies to backup one day lan, one day wan, so the client get one backup a day.

Make full image backup every 1-2 month and incremental every week or so.
If it s too slow, get the cbt plugin
File based backup, same periodicity for full, but daily backup.

backup file mon,wen,fri on one server,
backup files tue,thur, one the other.
backup images sat one servr, sun the other server
If your office burn, going back 1-2 days ago will not be that bad

If the speed is good. For the local server you can pump that to 3-4 file incremental per day, but via archive only keep 1 incremental at the end of the day

i like exponential retention so, i keep 2-3 inc and 1-2 full for manual backups
and archive every day for 2 week
every week for 3 month
every month for one year

1 Like

The Windows server dedup is pretty good. You can search in the forums; there are posts of people about their experience with that.

You are limited to 2TB disks with the VHD(Z) format on Windows/FreeBSD.
With ZFS you can use the copy-on-write raw image format to avoid this ( https://www.urbackup.org/administration_manual.html#x1-11000011.7.1 ). It is hard to setup with FreeNAS, though.

With the ZFS replication the question is if your connection is stable enough and/or if they have implemented the ZFS send resume functionality in FreeNAS.