Some Beginner's Questions for Home Backup Server

This is what I want to achieve:
I am running a very small business and want to backup the data and the systems of one laptop and of one desktop computer. When doing backup, I will connect the backup machine via LAN cable directly to the computers. Thus no Internet is involved here.

In order to set up a low cost solution, I want to use an old notebook with lubuntu on it and in connection with a harwdare RAID 1. Sorry to say, that the notebook is based on a N270 Atom CPU which can handle only 32-bit programs.

Please let me know, wether UrBackup can be installed on a Lubuntu 32-bit system?

Further Lubuntu is not available as an server edition. And Ubuntu server edition is only available as 64-bit version which I cannot run on that notebook.

Please let me know, wether it is mandatory, that UrBackup has to be installed on a server edition of Ubuntu.

Kind regards!

I can’t answer if it will run on 32bit, but I do have urbackup server running on the desktop version of Ubuntu (x64).

I just have found these download links:
Downloads for Debian

Here I see the differencies: Like on Ubuntu ISO packages there are UrBackup server with *.amd64.deb which are for 64-bit systems and other files with *i386.deb.

Therefor my question is answered in the way, that there are 32-bit and 64-bit ersions of UrBackup available.

But it is not answered, which file presented under the above linked URL is suitable for Lubuntu! We have several Debian releases listetd there like jessi, stretch and testing and unstable - each group contains UrBackup in amd64 and i386.

Which one should I try out for Lubuntu?

Hi small-user,

I’m a CentOS user, so a apologize if what I say is incorrect. The Jesse folder and installation is meant for a Debian 8 install, the Strech folder contains installs for Debian 9. I’m unsure about unstable and testing, but I assume it’s for development builds.

I’m having some issues seeing if Lubuntu is debian 8 or 9, but i’d say try one, starting with the Strech one, see if that one works? If it doesn’t you’ll find out soon enough and can try the other one.