[SOLVED] Help: Shadow copy and metadata errors creeping in, backups were fine before

Errors are creeping into my backups that have been working fine for months. The UrBackup server is running on a Raspberry Pi3 (Raspian OS). The UrBackup client is running on Windows10.

Here is a screenshot of the log overview for this computer. You can see that normally I see a single warning for each backup. The second screenshot shows the recurring warning. I don’t always get this warning, but 95% of the time I do. Everything appears to be working fine despite this, so I have been ignoring it.

Now, over the last two backups, I have seen additional warnings, and also errors. Two days ago I saw this, problems with the shadow copy and saving metadata:

Then last night, I saw this, another error regarding saving metadata (for the same file as the previous night):

My UrBackup server has plenty of space available. 3Tb specifically:

Can someone give me some pointers/tips on what is starting to go wrong here? FWIW, I have a second computer running an identical copy of Windows10 that has never experienced any UrBackup warnings or errors.

Could you use the latest Windows client and run a full file backup with that one?

I just upgraded the client from 2.1.15 to 2.1.16. Started a full file backup. Gonna take a while … (it’s estimating 7-1/2 hours!) Will post results when it’s done, but that might not be until tomorrow, depending on how accurate UrBackup’s time estimate is, and when I decide to go to bed tonight.

It took somewhere around 16-18 HOURS to index the files with the new UrBackup client. Now it is copying them, and projecting 3-1/2 MONTHS before it finishes that.

I think I liked the old client better. The new one is completely unusable. This is the same setup as before installing the new client. Same computer, same OS’es, same network, same server, same software configuration settings, everything. The only thing I did was install the new client over the old and start a full file backup. And it’s totally hosed now.

How do I downgrade to the older client? Can I just reinstall it over the newer one, or do I have to completely remove the newer one first? Where can I download the older client (in case I can’t find it in my deleted files or in an old backup)?

Rebooted the client computer to make sure there was no “Windows thing” interfering. Started another full backup (with the new client again) after reboot. Once again, it is projecting about 7-1/2 hours (which is approximately the time the last full file backup took about a month ago - so this projection seems reasonable). We’ll see if it goes past it’s projection again, and ends up planning on taking a couple of months to complete like yesterday’s attempt!

[edit] Things are looking better now. This time, the indexing only took 15-20 minutes, much better than the 16+ hours from last time. It’s into the file copying/linking stage now, currently predicting about 5-1/2 hours to go. So as of right now, it appears that the last failed attempt may well have been “a Windows thing” and not something specific in the new UrBackup client. That’s why I hate Windows and use Linux exclusively myself. But per my wife’s choice, her computers are stuck in the Windows Dark Ages (even though they’re all running fresh installs of the newest Windows 10). [/edit]

This second try full file backup succeeded, with no warnings and no errors, after 4-3/4 hours. So in final analysis I’d say that the UrBackup client upgrade from 2.1.15 to 2.1.16 fixed whatever it was that was causing the errors/warnings to creep in to previously working backups. And there was a secondary, unrelated issue, where some “Windows thing” caused my first backup attempt with the new client to go rouge. After rebooting Windows, all was well for the second backup attempt.