Server Rejected error with one client, docker for server and client

One client is constantly showing up as “server rejected”. I’ve tried the steps outlined in the help document, but that is not working. To add to the complication I’m running both server and client in docker containers.

Server says 'Server rejected' for a client and does not backup that client

Because of security reasons the UrBackup client only allows the first UrBackup server it sees to back up. For this reasons every server has a random server identity and starting from UrBackup Server 1.4 a private/public key pair. This identity changes if you uninstall and then install the server or if you use another server. The best option is to prevent this by saving the urbackup/server_ident.key, and if present urbackup/server_ident.priv and urbackup/server_ident.pub, on the server and to restore it if it has changed. If you did not do this your options are:

Click on the popup that asks if you want to use the new UrBackup server (not possible in my setup)
    Delete the server_idents.txt on the client, stop the UrBackup client back-end service, wait 5min, and start the service again. (tried multiple times by both deleting the file, and recreating the container)
    Uninstall the UrBackup client, wait 5min and then install it again. You loose your settings if you do this. (tried multiple times)
    Get the server identity from the server (It is shown on the admin page for server administrators) and add it to the client's server_idents.txt. (tried this too)

The server is hosted on another machine.

There are other VMs running the same client with similar docker-compose configs that work without issue. Some of them are in the same VLAN as the problematic client, others are on different VLANs.

There are no firewall rules specific to the problematic VM in my router.

For the server I’m using - GitHub - uroni/urbackup-server-docker: A multiarch docker image for a UrBackup server
For the clients I’m using - GitHub - uroni/urbackup-client-docker

Here’s the docker compose for the server

services:
  urbackup:
    image: uroni/urbackup-server:latest
    container_name: urbackup
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      - PUID=1003 # Enter the UID of the user who should own the files here
      - PGID=100  # Enter the GID of the user who should own the files here
      - TZ=America/New_York # Enter your timezone
    volumes:
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      - ./urbackup:/var/urbackup
      - /srv/mergerfs/mergerfs/backups:/backups
    network_mode: "host"

Here’s the generic compose for the clients

version: '3'
services:
  urbackup:
    image: uroni/urbackup-client:latest
    container_name: urbackup-client
    environment:
#      - PUID=1000
#      - PGID=1000
      - TZ=America/New_York # Enter your timezone
      - URBACKUP_SERVER_NAME=redacted
      - URBACKUP_CLIENT_NAME=redacted
      - URBACKUP_CLIENT_AUTHKEY=redacted
    volumes:
      - /opt:/backup

I have the PUID and GUID variables commented out because they are not required on my other VMs, and the problematic VM is setup basically the same way, down to users and permissions.

Everything starts up fine, and there are no errors on either containers log output.
Here’s the log 30 minutes after start up of the problematic client.

urbackup-client  | 2024-03-12 12:04:29: ERROR: urbackupserver: Failed binding ipv6 socket to port 35623. Another instance of this application may already be active and bound to this port.
urbackup-client  | 2024-03-12 12:04:29: urbackupserver: Server started up successfully!
urbackup-client  | 2024-03-12 12:04:29: Started UrBackupClient Backend...
urbackup-client  | Backing up volume /backup
urbackup-client  | 2024-03-12 12:04:30: Looking for old Sessions... 2 sessions
urbackup-client  | 2024-03-12 12:04:30: Final path: /backup

All the other clients have the same line about binding to IPV6, so I didn’t think that could be the problem.

On the server the only errors I’m seeing about the client are

Constructing of filelist of "plex" failed: ERR
	Backup had an early error. Deleting partial backup.

I’ve deleted and repuled the client container multiple times, as far as I can see the container doesn’t leave any persistent data on the host, so I haven’t had to delete anything from the host.

What else can I check/change?

Figured out the problem, the system had another install of urbackup client that I completely forgot about. After uninstalling that client, the docker client worked perfectly.