Server 2.5.0 WIP/Client 2.5.0 WIP

The major change with server 2.5.x and client 2.5.x is a complete redesign how settings are handled. The goal is to make it more explicit and consistent.

  • Each setting has a button next to it which switches between inheriting the setting from the group, using the configuration value on the configuration page and using the value from the client, and for some setting merging client and server settings together
  • File backup paths are now a normal setting just like any other. No more separation between paths to backup configured on the client and default directories to backup

This is a critical area of UrBackup and as such needs a lot of testing. Focus should be on if the 2.4.x client still more or less works with the 2.5.x server (and especially doesn’t loose its connection settings for Internet servers).

Auto-update is currently not poosible (no signatures).

Thanks for any help with testing and feedback!

Upgrade process

As always: Replace the executables (via the installers) and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it.

Place the files from the update directory into C:\Program Files\UrBackupServer\urbackup or /var/urbackup to auto-update clients. Disable Download client from update server in the server settings to prevent the server from downloading the current version.

On Linux e.g. with this update script: https://github.com/ptempier/get_urbackupclient/blob/master/updateclient.sh

Downgrade process (server)

Stop the UrBackup server, restore C:\Program Files\UrBackupServer\urbackup or /var/urbackup from a backup before upgrade and then install the previous version over the beta release.

Downloads

version 2.5.0 appears to need libc6 ver 2.29 I am running Debian 10 (buster) and that uses libc6 v2.28 I have tried upgrading libc6 but that appears not be a real option(without significant effort and risk of breaking other things). Is it possible to build this version of the server using libc6 ver 2.28? Thanks

Sounds good.Will the redesign also eliminate “Indexing interrupted by configuration change” and similar errors when the client configuration isn’t affected? Preventing such events are a low priority, I’m sure, but I occasionally shoot myself in the foot by changing, for example, the (server) number of simultaneous backups while client backups are running.

First time I’ve heard this being an issue. Looking at the code this should only occur if the actual paths to backup are changed (with the current stable version). Otherwise debug log files or steps to reproduce would be appreciated.

You probably haven’t seen it because few would change configurations immediately after starting a backup. Seems like “Corner Condition” is my middle name.

Environment: Windows 2016 Server with UrBackup Server 2.4.11. Windows 7 Pro clients under current Client auto-updated; all clients local. Dual-stack LAN with IPv4 and IPv6, although IPv6 is not active on the clients being discussed.

What I did: Select five clients (out of 19) using checkboxes on Status tab. “With selected” pick full backup. Check Activities, notice only three are running and sitting on Indexing. Go to Settings: Server: Max simultaneous backups: and note it is indeed three. [I had recently transferred old 3TB backup drive and backups as-is to new more powerful server and used remove_unknown.bat to clean up.] Changed Max to 6, made no other changes, saved, and returned to Activities hoping to see two more appear. Instead the three that had been running errored out and the two that were queued started and then hung during indexing. Stop didn’t work; it took restarting the UrBackup Windows Server service to clear the hung backups. While waiting for the two hung jobs to respond (before restarting Server service) I started and successfully finished full backups of the first three Clients.

Sorry for taking you away from your development flow. I do appreciate the new more granular settings idea and will try it when I have a secondary backup plan available for my office/lab network. Might try to reproduce this incident with debug settings under 2.4.11 when I’m not in project crunch mode, but here’s one example client log from the server.

Level	Time			Message
Info	11/27/19 14:21	Starting unscheduled full file backup...
Info	11/27/19 14:22	CBT not enabled for volume "c:"
Info	11/27/19 14:22	Following symbolic link at "C:\Users\All Users" to "C:\ProgramData" confirms symlink backup target ".symlink_ProgramData" to "C:\ProgramData"
Errors	11/27/19 14:22	Indexing interrupted by configuration change
Errors	11/27/19 14:22	Constructing of filelist of "NECD05s" failed: error - stopped indexing
Errors	11/27/19 14:22	Backup had an early error. Deleting partial backup.