Security- Require authentication before backing up new LAN clients

New clients on a LAN should require being authenticated before starting any backups.
I may be willing to trust a friend’s wifi sufficiently to use it, however trusting their backup server as somewhere to dump ALL my personal and sensitive data is a completely different matter!

See the first two FAQ questions: https://www.urbackup.org/faq.html

So if someone downloads and installs the client while connected to my network, I’ll end up with their files on my server with no interaction?

That seems less than ideal too.

Then firewall the network ports and use the internet mode only… as the manual says the local network mode is only for when you trust the local network anyway. And any member in your local network can do stuff like ARP poisoning…

You can mitigate that (someone coming on your network) issue within yourbackup by setting the default group/setttings to not backup anything, and manually move clients to a group that actually does backups (or use custom settings).

If you re already using urbackup at home, you can not backup by mistake to another computer, as you would already have a key installed, and only the first server key is added automatically.