Restoring in a VM "Missing OS" (error: invalid seek value)

Hello.

I am running into a issue when restoring an image inside VMware. The image originates from VMware (full image was created in a virtual machine). Operating System is Windows 7 64-bit.

I set VMware workstation to boot to the live CD, and go through the restore process. Everything seems to work correctly up until the reboot.

UrBackup LiveCD says the restore was successful; reboot the machine. After the reboot I am prompted with “Missing operating system” right away.

Thanks in advance for any help. This program is awesome and I would love to figure out what is causing this. A thanks to the developers as well.

EDIT- I am getting some kind of error during the install. It pops up for a split second and then says the restore was successful. Happens around 60-70% through the restore process.

Error: Invalid Seek Value: 6968623808

http://oi47.tinypic.com/24qrgua.jpg

If 69686263808 (corrected that) is exacly the size of the partition then this is probably not the cause of the error. (It’s about 65GB.) And if you use only 60-70% of space on the drive.

What might be interesting:

• Do you have two Windows partitions, one of them the system restore partition? If yes, did UrBackup correctly backup both partitions, and correctly restore both of them?
  • Do you have a MBR parititon table. You could send me the .mbr file of the image you are restoring (martin@urbackup.org). Then I can confirm that.
  • Was the volume backed up and restored correctly? If you are able to, you could try to mount the restored volume in linux (e.g. in the restore cd Debian). You could also confirm if the created vhd is correct, by mounting it in Windows . See FAQ entry “I want to extract a file from the image backups. How do I do that?” http://www.urbackup.org/FAQ.php?lang=en

Thanks for the response.

-Only 1 partition was backed up (no system restore partition)

-VHD can be mounted within Windows

-I just sent you an e-mail with the MBR partition table

EDIT- I just noticed that 2 MBR files are being created during the backup, Image_C and Image_SYSVOL.
Is that how it should be? There should have only been a single partition on the virtual disk.

[quote=“zidvbelju”]EDIT- I just noticed that 2 MBR files are being created during the backup, Image_C and Image_SYSVOL.
Is that how it should be? There should have only been a single partition on the virtual disk.[/quote]

I can see in the file you sent me, that you have a restore partition. UrBackup needs to backup and restore that one, otherwise it won’t boot. Is there a Image_SYSVOL*.vhd as well?

Yeah, there is an Image_SYSVOL*.vhd in the backup folder. My apologies for missing that completely. I was almost positive there was no other partitions on the drive.

I will log back into the machine tomorrow and re-check everything.

Thanks!

The system restore partition is restored after the actual partition. It seems that did not happen. Which version of the live cd did you use?

Using urbackup_restore_en_1.0WIP3.iso

Server is on 1.1.1, Client is on 1.1.1

I tried it with system recovery partition and WIP3 and it worked for me.

What happend though, was that it did not manage to backup the system recovery partition, i.e., there is a bug in 1.1.1. I fixed that now in 1.1.2RC. Are you sure you have both the SYSVOL_.vhd and SYSVOL_.mbr for the recovery partition with a time stamp fitting to the volume you want to restore?