Restore partition not available

I am trying to restore a full image backup and I am getting an error message after specifying what image to restore from. The error is, “Following error happend: Restore partition not available. How to continue?”

The systems that I took the full image backup of are VM’s running on either HyperV or Vmware, and I am restoring them to a Virtualbox VM running on a Windows 7 Host.

The backup server is up and communicating. I am not sure what to try next.

This happens if the restore cannot find the partition. See the limitations here: http://www.urbackup.org/Features.php

If it was a MBR partitioned drive and the volume was a primary volume, the Linux kernel may have failed to read the partition table. Then it might work if you try it again after restarting. The Linux might also fail to recognize the hard disk or something.

It should give you shell access where you can look at the partition table with

cfdisk /dev/sda

(sda may be sdb or something, depending on how many harddisks you have)

If all fails you can still restore the image via commandline. You would need some Linux skills for that tough.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have restarted my VM, and the server a few times and still getting the error. The Image should have backed up an MBR primary partition drive formatted in NTFS, so nothing too intricate.

When I choose my image to restore I get the:
Loading MBR for hard disk…
Reading MBR…
Writing MBR…
Reading partition table…
Testing partition availability…
etc.

Then I get the error. How do you get out to shell access to run the command-line restore?

***UPDATE: I had changed the VirtualBox’s disk from SATA to IDE and the restore is now going through. I did get a READ TIMEOUT error, but I am on my way to 100%. I will give a status update then.

***UPDATE: Restore completed, but I got Operating System not found error…

Okay. Which Virtual Box version is that? Maybe the Knoppix used needs an update…

The error now looks more like it did forget to restore the boot partition, though I don’t know if your Windows even had one. Which version is it? Can you attach another working windows, boot that one, and look if all volumes are present and mountable on the restored disk? Which version of UrBackup Client and Server did you use?

But when that works, there is another issue: Windows does not like to be suddenly on different hardware and will most likely bluescreen on startup.

As I am testing the restore process, I can confirm this same issue exists within VMware ESXi 4.1. When I created a new Virtual Machine, I let VMware guide me through the hardware selections. The VM I received had an LSI Logic Parallel SCSI adapter. Changing this to adapter type to BusLogic Parallel allowed the restore process to find and mount the target hard drive.

Reading partition table…

I do not expect to run into a BSOD problem because both my source VM and target VM have the same virtual hardware. One possible way around this would be to load the target VM’s software drivers into the source VM before you create your backup. Again, though, Uroni is right. Windows can be very challenging in this way.

One more thing. If your source VM’s controller was anything other than a BusLogic SCSI adapter, you will need to change it to the proper type before attempting to boot Windows.

I found this problem yesterday, turned out to be a corrupt GPT table. Possible fix --> add a parted script to the restore CD. If the partition error occurs, the user can give permission for parted to rebuild and format the drive as NTFS.

am facing same problem. what is solution ?

I’m also facing the same issue with restoration of Linux Image taken from a VM (Hetzner Cloud). Trying to restore to VM as well (Local VMWare).

No mater the disk size, type of connection (SCSI, IDE, NVME, etc.) on the restoration target I’m getting the same errors. Other images from other backups (including Linux images) are restored without issues on the same local Vmware machine.

I’m using Urbackup 2.5.22 compiled from sources and restoration image 2.5 from beta channel as well.

Is there any way to fix this or manual workaround to restore image from the command line?

Some additional information:

1. On the client it seems that FS type is detected incorrectly:

2022-01-24 10:01:08: Snapshotting device /dev/sdb via dattobd…
2022-01-24 10:01:08: Using /dev/datto0…
2022-01-24 10:01:08: Mounting /dev/mapper/wsnap-1136a7c6d352d1e9abddb0a0bb0996d40da36f964465ea15…
2022-01-24 10:01:08: Shadowcopy path: /mnt/urbackup_snaps/1136a7c6d352d1e9abddb0a0bb0996d40da36f964465ea15
2022-01-24 10:01:08: Resetting CBT information
2022-01-24 10:01:08: Detected fs type ext2
2022-01-24 10:01:15: FSINFO: blocksize=4096 size=114010570752 has_error=false used_space=90966372352 type=ext2

While FS is:
/dev/sdb on / type ext3 (rw,relatime)

1. On recovery client I get:

And recovery fails.

1. Backed up system contains few disks and bootable disk is /dev/sda. Backed up disk (/dev/sdb), is also bootable, however (wild guess) probably MBR is being taken from /dev/sda, but root FS is /dev/sdb and this confuses UrBackup.

Seems like initial partition information is captured incorrectly in the backup.

I hope this helps.