Restore Images Manually Mounted via SMB

I use UrBackup for all the full OS image backups in a small Windows domain with both physical machines and virtual Hyper-V servers.

I recently found out that renaming a client folder on the UrBackup server, where the OS images back up to causes the restore disk to not see the renamed images to restore using the UI.

I found some posts about records in an SQL Lite DB and I found a tool to see the tables but this seems too complex and I’m not sure which records to update to fix the UI mapping issue anyway.

I found a post that told me to use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to terminal and run Linux commands to point the UrBackup Restore Client tool to explicit image files.

I tried mounting the SMB share and was told I do not have access to the command. I had a little trouble here figuring out how to elevate my permissions but eventually figured it out so see below for further detail.

I found what I needed and will post the detail below that helped me.

At the “Welcome to UrBackup restore” screen, you will want to press the Ctrl+Alt+F2 keys to go into the terminal and then follow the below instructions and run the mentioned commands accordingly.

https://i.imgur.com/SlOg7qA.png

First, be sure you are connected to the network which the SMB file share and UNC path for the UrBackup server resides by running: /sbin/ifconfig.

Second, run lsblk to see all the “block devices” or hard disks on the system and confirm the correct /dev/sd# so with the restore commands you point the image to be pushed to the correct device and/or disk partition.

## Elevate permissions to commands
sudo su
cd /root

## Create the directory which will map to the SMB UNC path server share
mkdir -p /mnt/<ServerName>

## Mount the UNC path to the new directory with a credential
mount -t cifs //<IPAddress>/<ShareName> -o username=<username>,password=<password> /mnt/<ServerName>

Now finish up by following the instructions listed on How to restore via command line

https://i.imgur.com/vSPzCLH.png

2 Likes