Restore full Windows image Backup

good morning everyone, I’m relatively new to urbackup, I’ve done a couple of installations putting them into production on some NAS as soon as I got to appreciate the capabilities of this fantastic software! thank you very much to the developers! I would have a question to ask you expert. to say the truth on this wonderful forum already exists a similar discussion, but there is no answer, I hope that based on my concerns may be less the doubt of other people in my same situation. After a few months of backups images on windows machines (which work perfectly) I wanted to do a restore of a 2003 (physical) server with 2 partitions. I created a vm on Proxmox and I started the recovery, as soon as the server is detected, of course I’m offered the machine to restore, here comes the problem, asking me to choose whether I want to restore C or D, how should I behave if I wanted to do a complete restoration in a correct way, thanks to anyone who wants to clear my ideas!

@tech

When you get a chance, look over Restore Images Manually Mounted via SMB and check those screen shots there too as you can use this method I believe to push your images to separate partitions.

I’d say learn how to do the restores this way when the GUI method is not robust enough for you needs. While there may be a bit of learning to do to figure it out, it works wonderfully once you do.

Actually and honestly, ever since I figured out this way to restore with the restore ISO to an SMB share containing all the URBackup image backups, I always do it via this method now moving forward. I don’t do it enough to remember the entire process without referencing a printed out guide of these instructions, but it’s solid and reliable for the restore process and using Windows Servers in particular too.

1 Like

Hi tech, Whenever I test a image backup by doing a restore, i use the restore iso, allow it to find the backup server (though LAN or Internet) and choose the server. To actually restore a server I start with the C drive, select the disk and let it do it’s thing. This also restores the MBR, GPT and SYSVOL partitions to the disk. Rinse and repeat for the other volumes on the other disks.

In case of a disk with multiple partitions i did some testing. My test machine has 2 disks, disk 1 has the C: partition, disk 2 has partition I: and J: on it, both about half the disk. I restored the C: volume using the restore ISO as normal, then Restored both the I: partition and then the J: partition on the second disk, ignoring the message about the disk being overwritten. restarted the machine afterwards and done. the C:, I:, J: drives are all back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this instructions that are part of the docs, or your own? Can you provide reference link?

@silversword

Yes, I thought those were linked in the “Restore Images Manually Mounted via SMB” post but some of the screen shots are now links. In any event to try to help and be more clear, I’ve uploaded 3 documents that I call A, B, and C that should help you here: embedded Instructions.zip (205.4 KB).

Document A is a text document quick run down type template I use for a reminder of the commands and the order to run them plus a couple URL links in them for reference of where I got some of the detail when I initially figured it out.

The documents B and C are PDF documents with the screen shots, etc. to help clarify for me when I do it which Restore Data section will apply in my case.

I did want to note that in my case, I only use images for OS systems and not for file level backups and I use actual file level backups and NOT image backups of disk partitions that are not bootable but for bootable OS images (mainly Windows) I make full image backups and I’ve only done this with FULL images and not incremental images and only for bootable OS partitions plus the MBR and SYSVOL when applicable.

The system you are restoring to those will make a difference for the section in the document with the How to restore via command line in that one “C” PDF document so based on what you have in that directory will depending on which of the Restore data sections you will need to follow and obviously after running the Restore MBR for systems where you need the MBR

I hope this helps clarify some and I hope it gives you some good helpfulness in your process but hit me back and let me know how it goes, if you need further clarification, or if you have any questions, etc. and maybe I can help further.

Good luck regardless!!

2 Likes

good evening guys, thank you very much for the answers, I will shortly rehearse and I will bring you the results! you were really genitli! Thank you!!