Request of image backup failed. Reason: Creating Shadow drive failed. Stopping

I have a UrBackup server that has been running well for months but one server reported this error today. It seems like a problem with the client starting VSS. As far as I know, nothing has changed recently on this server. Here is the client error log.

2016-11-01 00:30:53: ERROR: Not found
2016-11-01 00:37:51: ERROR: backupcom->GetSnapshotProperties(dir->ref->ssetid, &snap_props) failed. VSS error code UNDEF
2016-11-01 00:37:51: ERROR: Creating shadowcopy of “C:” failed.
2016-11-01 00:37:51: ERROR: Creating Shadow drive failed. Stopping.
2016-11-01 01:17:58: ERROR: Not found

Has anyone experienced this error?

You need to look at the client to find the problem. Is the client Volume Shadow Service running? If it is running ok then maybe there is a problem with the client hard drive…?

Sorry it took me a while to reply. I assumed it would be something on the client. VSS is set to Manual on the server. I would assume the software starts VSS when necessary. Something must be going wrong with starting the service. I’ll try a few things on the client to see if its something simple. Thanks!

You say it’s set to manual on the server. Do you mean the client? Or is the client a Windows server?
Either way, it should be set to automatic on the urbackup client and it will me called, as needed, by the backup software.

The client is a Windows server. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!