Rename an existing backup path?

Is it possible to rename a backup path? I’m running both the client and server on Linux boxes.

e.g., I ran this command on the client:

urbackupclientctl add-backupdir -d /var/opt/docker -n Docker

Then several backups were done. But I would like to change the NAME of the backup path to be equivalent to having done the following instead:

urbackupclientctl add-backupdir -d /var/opt/docker -n Docker_config

In other words, the backup path stays the same, just the associated name internal to urbackup changes.

Is this possible to do non-destructively?

No, you’ll have to remove it, then add it again.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info. I think going forward I will probably abandon the -n option altogether. I’m assuming in that case that the backups webpage would just list the actual directories that are being backed up (the paths that were specified with the -d option).

My issue is that I started backing up /var/opt/docker under that name “Docker”. Then I realized that I also needed to backup /var/lib/docker. So I added that under the name “Docker_2”. Then I realized that my names were pretty useless, and I might be better off having named these things something more descriptive like “Docker_config” and “Docker_data” (for example). I don’t really want to delete the existing backups and start fresh, because there are a few things contained in the old backups that I have since removed from their locations, but I don’t want to lose what was once there. The existing backups capture that (and I have flagged the specific backups made before I deleted this data with the “archive” bit).

Anyway, I can’t do what I’m wanting to. It’s not the end of the world. But maybe renaming backups (while leaving the path the same) might end up being a future feature of UrBackup. Hopefully I have described above why it might be useful.

Oh - another question: While I understand that you cannot RENAME a backup path, is it possible to UN-NAME them? The thought being that UrBackup would revert to displaying the backup paths by their actual directory names, not the previous NAME that we associated (but subsequently removed) for that directory path. I’m guessing the answer to this second question is also “no”, but it never hurts to ask…