Removing Old Directories on Backup BTRFS File System Location?

Earlier I was having problems getting good image backups (the clients that had errors (not all clients) were based from 7/15/20 images which urbackup claimed were not a subvolume. I thought this was unique).

Not wanting to just remove those clients and start over as I get anxious until enough new backups are saved, I renamed the client directories, removed the client in urbackup and re-added those clients. Now I have these old renamed directories taking up space on my BTRFS filesystem and cannot find a way to delete them. As root, I get a read only filesystem error as I attempt to delete them. If I run urbackupsrv remove-unknown, that doesn’t remove them, either. The directory names that I want to remove have never been real urbackup client names.

How can I remove them and regain the space that they take?? Thanks!

They are most likely btrfs subvolumes, so you’ll need btrfs subvolume delete instead of rm or rmdir.

@capi
Thanks for the reply. In my case, that does not work. btrfs subvolume delete tells me: “ERROR: not a subvolume:”

I am trying to delete directories (client name) right under urbackup backup directory in case that matters.

The subvolumes are the “timestamped” (e.g. 200809-2220) directories inside the client’s directory. You can check where the individual subvolumes are with btrfs subvolume list /path/to/mountpoint.

Thanks. I just came across that, too. So, I would need to “btrfs subvolume delete /path/to/mountpoint/(entry)” each of those entries?

Thanks again @capi

All good.