Remote backup over internet

I am confused and need some help please. I have it working great locally but just don’t understand the internet side of this.

1. Does the internet server require a static IP or can you use a DNS Name instead?
  2. To configure a client running Windows to backup to a remote server running URbackup on Windows what exactly needs to be set on each side. I cannot get it to work.
  3. How do I make sure the password is correctly set on both sides, or does that field do anything? I see a password on the client side, but not on the server side, and I installed it a while ago so cannot recall where it even came from.
  4. are there logs I can look at to determine why the internet connection is not working
  5. what goes into the internet server name/ip field on the server, why does it need its own address?
1 Like
  1. you can use a dns name as long as client can resolve the dns name there shouldn’t be an issue
  2. you’ll need to add the client to Urbackup server manually and then download that specific clients Exe via the webgui.
  3. not sure what password you are asking about. the only “password” i’m aware of is the webgui password.
    4.there is a urbackup.log file on the server side either in /var/log/urbackup.log or C:\Progam files\UrBackupServer\urbackup.log
    5.this is the URL that is passed to the client which is used for a few different things “don’t ask just do it”:stuck_out_tongue: It should be the URL to your server without the port

All of this is in the documentation but I like to help so if you can provide more info as to why it’s not working let me know and I will try my best to help. I am currently running Internet backups for a bunch of clients successfully to an AWS Server and it works awesome.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I kind of understand, and I am slowly picking through this. I would so appreciate a simple to understand step by step guide to setting up an internet server from scratch including how to add existing clients that are already doing local backup to use that internet server.

For example in point 2, when adding the client manually do you use the public IP of the client?

I think someone in the URbackup community should consider some idiot guides.

1. Idiot guide to internet only backup setup
  2. Idiot guide to adding internet backup to existing client (what I am trying to do)

In both cases starting with how to best configure the internet server, and firewall (what ports need to be forwarded etc…), and then what needs to be done on the client side.

if you want to do internet and local backups for some clients to the same server then you need to just set them up as an internet client. They will still backup locally when they are on the same network as the server. If I was you I would delete the clients and re-add them with the steps I have shown below. Otherwise you need to do a lot more reading into the Urbackup documentation.

you do not ever use the Public IP. follow these steps below.

1. Verify your settings are right on the server to allow internet clients. your internet server name/IP is just that. mine is “mybackupserver.com” You need to make sure that ports 55413-55415 are forwarded to this server. I have some beta options since I am running a beta version.

2. click on add a new client and type whatever name you want to call the client. (it doesnt have to be the PC name)

3. the next page gives you a link to download the preconfigured installer for that client so just click the link to download the file and run it on the client. If configured correctly the client will connect to the server and start doing backups, or you can manually force a backup from the webGUI. the client should also show online in the status page.

See section “7 Internet clients” in the admin manual: https://www.urbackup.org/administration_manual.html#x1-360007

You only need to enable Internet mode, restart, make sure to put in the DNS name in the server name/ip field and make sure that the configured port is reachable from the Internet. It will automatically push the settings to local clients.

hi there, i am new to urbackup, id like to set it up for over internet backup, would you tell me plz how is the speed when restoring and backing up, What server requirements do you think is good for like 100 windows clients? I also notiiced you mentioned you use AWS Server, which i dont use, since iam currently using wasabi storage. please let me know. thanks