Reconfigure snapshot mechanism from "no snapshot mechanism"

Hi there,

First of all, I want to congratulate all of you (developers and users), for the project itself and for the community. I’m coming from Bacula and I’m really enjoying UrBackup. It’s simple and much less abstract than Bacula.

Now, one thing that I didn’t find a clear solution is regarding the UrBackup client; when installing, we are asked about the snapshot mechanism. In most of our legacy servers I’ve chose the option “no snapshot mechanism” in the end of installation (I have configured now around 35 servers; 15 of those are legacy servers with “no mechanism” set up). Is there any way that I can change that?

I found through the forum that the configuration is located in “/usr/local/etc/urbackup/snapshot.cfg”, but in those clients with no mechanism select, it is blank, and things like reinstalling the client didn’t work. Eg.: if I want to use another mechanism now, like “dattobd”, how do I do that?

If you need more info, just tell me.

Keep up the good work! I’m already recommending UrBackup to some of my friends to test it, and they are enjoying too!

Thank you very much.

There is a file /usr/local/etc/urbackup/no_filesystem_snapshot. If you delete that the installer will show the snapshot mechanism selection menu again.
Or you could copy the snapshot.cfg from a correctly configured client.

2 Likes

Hi uroni,

Understood; just tested it and it worked fine!

Just a question; in Microsoft Windows machines, UrBackup doesn’t need this snapshot mechanism (so, there is no need to change), because the native system/VSS, correct?

Thank you very much.

On the positive side, you might also check for file, /usr/local/etc/urbackup/snapshot.cfg, which contains (only) commands for doing LVM snapshots:

#This is a key=value config file for determining the scripts/programs to create snapshots
create_filesystem_snapshot=/usr/local/share/urbackup/lvm_create_filesystem_snapshot
remove_filesystem_snapshot=/usr/local/share/urbackup/lvm_remove_filesystem_snapshot