Questions on running a LAN-based Urback server and a local appliance in parallel for onsite and offsite backup

Hi there,
since a few years I run happily a LAN-based Urback-Debian-Server with Linux/Windows CBT and partly macOS clients. Due to extended requirements, an Urbackup offsite-backup in parallel to the LAN-based setup is needed. In detail, the scenario should look like this:

• LAN-based setup: Urback-Debian-Server with Linux, Windows CBT and partly macOS clients
  • Offsite setup: Urbackup Local (=LAN-based) Appliance that stores in a S3-compatible cloud storage

According to “I want to use more then one backup server. What do I have to consider?” in FAQ I would consider: “use the same key and private/public key pair for all backup servers”.
… and now to my questions:
(A) Will a client backup to both Urbackup-Servers simultaneously if both servers are up and running?
(B) If one backup server is down and only the other backup server is available, what happens then?
(C) When a client uses Access/Restore backup from the system tray menu (right click) will the client see both Urbackup Servers and could choose which to use for a restore or will the client see a “merged view” of both Urbackup-Servers?

Thanks in advance for providing me some help on my questions.

I wouldn’t recommend backing up to two different servers currently (that’s what the appliance replication features are for).

The main problem is that the settings on each UrBackup server overwrite each other. To fix this you should set them to the same settings on both servers. That would also answer (C), it’s the server url you setup on both servers and the client will only see data of the configured server.

Simutaneous backups will work. As well as backup to the server that is on at the time.

You could try the alternate client marked as (beta) in the appliance. That one would install a whole separate client (so you also have e.g. two icons). The beta is because CBT isn’t sufficiently tested w.r.t. that yet. So I can’t recommend this.