I have the following situation/problem:
My host system is a MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.7.3) with VMware Fusion 4.1.1.
UrBackup-Server and -client are running on the bootcamp partition (which i can access to with VMware Fusion) with Win 7 x64 SP1. I’ve made an image of that same partition with Urbackup, which worked fine.
Now i want to restore that image into an empty virtual machine which i created on the same host system. Knoppix boots fine, so does Urbackup. During the process it finds the UrBackup-server and the image i made, but when trying to restore it hangs with “Teste Partition auf Verfügbarkeit”. I guess the routine isn’t able to locate/handle the partition/virtual disc inside the empty VM.
I tried to fix that via fdisk, GParted and even the Win 7 Setup-disc. I ran the setup until the part, where i could create the partitions and then aborted the setup. But none of these methods solved my problem.
Do you have any idea or solution for me?
You can answer in German, if you want. Thanks in advance!
Somehow restore the partition table (if the CD did not already do that)
Restore the vhd content by mounting the server folder, intalling the server (e.g. with the .deb in knoppix) and then restoring the VHD with
urbackup_srv --plugin /usr/lib/liburbackupserver_fsimageplugin.so --vhdcopy_in /path/to/image.vhd --vhdcopy_out /dev/sda1
I’d very much like to find out what is not working though. Could you send me the .mbr file please? (It does only have the partition table and the partition name and number in it) (To email@example.com). Thanks!
swap out old HDD against a fresh and bigger (500GB) HDD
restore via restore CD
throttling printing message “Teste Partition auf Verfügbarkeit”
It doesn’nt matter if I restore the first full image or the 2 additional images. If I run gparted afterwards it brings me the message “Invalid partition table on /dev/sda – wrong signature 0.” If I hit Ignore, I can see a couple of partitions in gparted.
Thanks, the latest restore CD 1.0WIP3 seems to fix the partition restore problem.
However I ran into another problem during the restore process (now running server v1.1). The process stops at about 35% of the restore. On the client I get following selection:
r Restart restore
s Start shell
o Restore other volume
s Stop restoration
If I try restart the restore a message blinks up. I need to press “r” repeatedly to see what it shows:
<DATE> <TIME>: ERROR: connection timeout
I checked the HTTP-IF and found everything working. /var/log/urbackup.log, /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog gives me no information about anything failed.
After I restart the server on the console I’m able to restart the restore - which again fails.
Could it be a memory problem? I’m running UrBackup in an OpenVZ container. Meanwhile I gave the VZ 4GB RAM which it eats up totally during the restore.
Any other hints?
wasn’t able to do too much testing today. So I did only one restore - which simply worked - funny. During the restore I switched between PS1/2 and was tailing the mentioned log - nothing special from my point of view.
On monday I’ll be able to do some more testing and report back. Meanwhile I just wanna ask if the restore problems could have had something to do with the server upgrade von v1.0 to 1.1. I was thinking that maybe the overnight cleaning procress cleaned up something in the way. What do you think?
intentionally today I wanted to recreate the extended partition. Under Windows 7 x64 I was not able to create or modify any partition. Windows was complaining about an invalid partition table. For the partition layout, which Windows 7 was showing, see attached file (had to zip the image to be able to upload it here).
The same info about an invalid partition table I got from gparted live cd. However this is the layout fdisk -l shows:
Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xdcdb1974
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 2459647 1228800 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 * 2459648 125339647 61440000 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 125339648 604659711 239660032 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda4 604659712 625139711 10240000 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda5 3071838208 3071847234 4513+ 4c Unknown