Possible macos 10.14 issues - access denied causes backup to fail

until this get solved i am going to found an other solution… or use TM :frowning:

My wife and I have 2015 MacBook Pros which don’t have the T2 chip and experience the same issue.

Interesting, in my case both machines that aren’t backing up have the T2 chip. I thought I found something that could/would help. Unfortunately not, I hope that this gets address sooner rather than later.

I should be clear here by saying I have issues. I can get backups to work but only after disabling and re-enabling URBackup in the FDA configuration. However, that authorization doesn’t survive a reboot and sometimes not even going into standby mode.

So my 2012 Mac mini, that’s hosting Plex server is constantly backing up every night without any issue. I’ve purposely rebooted it during the day at random time and it still backups without any issue. All I had to do was enable FDA and it’s currently running 10.14.2 with all of it latest patches.

You were lucky you must have a Late 2012 Mac mini, otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to upgrade to Mojave:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-14-mojave-compatibility/#SystemRequirements

Yes that is correct.

@EricSten @wakkedoff
Did you add the whole .app folder or only urbackupclientbackend to the FDA list?

I’ve tried both with the same result.

My Mac mini Mid 2011 is running Mojave smoothly :slight_smile:

For those who have Mojave running smoothly with the Urbackup client, would you mind looking in Activity Monitor to see what your tccd process usage is? Ordinarily it would be near 0%.

I found that I could - eventually - get Urbackup running smoothly under Mojave by poking at the FDA settings - but it would break after a while, and tccd usage would skyrocket.

Is there any progress here?

Hi:

Not that I’ve seen - I’m running Mojave, and I’ve had to stop using Urbackup until the Info.plist keys get added… Played havoc with tccd every time I tried otherwise.

1 Like

same here.

Same here
We are all on the same Boat :frowning:

Here’s how idrive needs authorization in Mojave:

So, does this mean - we have to modify Info.plist of UrbackupClient?

Could be. I haven’t found any official documentation and I don’t have a mojave mac to play around with. Even then it seems to work until reboot?

Must be buried somewhere in Featured | Apple Developer Documentation I couldn’t find it either.

This might be helpful:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/107546

specifically the eskimo reply:

With regards helper tools, does your tool:

• Have a bundle ID, set via the __info_plist section in the executable?To get this, set both the “Info.plist File” ( INFOPLIST_FILE ) and the “Create Info.plist Section in Binary” ( CREATE_INFOPLIST_SECTION_IN_BINARY ) build settings.

• Have that bundle ID as a ‘child’ of the app’s bundle ID?For example, your app might be com.example.foo and your bundle ID might be com.example.foo.helper .

• Have a code signing identifier that matches its bundle ID?You can dump the code signing identifier using codesign -d -vvv /path/to/your/tool . For example:

1. $ codesign -d -v /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.anarchistturtle.QCDImagerHelper 2>&1 | grep Identifier
    2. Identifier=com.anarchistturtle.QCDImagerHelper

Looks like these are at least the primary 3 things to make sure it’s right.

I wanted to update the mac mini I use for compiling to test this and it said it can’t install. Is there some trick to install anyway?