Possible macos 10.14 issues - access denied causes backup to fail

Likewise - UrBackup seems to be the only app that I have which has problems getting Full Disk Access. Other apps - such as Arq - don’t seem to have any issue accessing everything, once it has FDA.

That’s wrong. For example there is MacOS Mojave: error: Open: ... operation not permitted · Issue #2051 · restic/restic · GitHub .

What I’ve seen: I added /Applications/Urbackup Client.app to System Preference | Security | Privacy | Full Disk Access.

This was the profile

After adding that, backups seemed to run for a while, but then started getting

Error while getting files in folder “/Users/user/Library/Safari”. User may not have permissions to access this folder. Errno is 1

The folder kept changing, so I kept adding excluded files until it would run again. Here is the final list I had to make to get the backup to run:

> */Application Support/IDriveforMac/*;/Users/*/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryDB;/Users/*/Library/Application Support/AddressBook;/Users/*/Library/Application Support/CallHistoryTransactions;/Users/*/Library/Application Support/MobileSync;/Users/*/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC;/Users/*/Library/Caches/CloudKit/com.apple.Safari;/Users/*/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari;/Users/*/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing;/Users/*/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient;/Users/*/Library/Calendars;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.Home;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.VoiceMemos;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.news;/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.stocks;/Users/*/Library/Cookies;/Users/*/Library/HomeKit;/Users/*/Library/IdentityServices;/Users/*/Library/Mail;/Users/*/Library/Messages;/Users/*/Library/Metadata/CoreSpotlight;/Users/*/Library/Metadata/CoreSpotlight;/Users/*/Library/Metadata/CoreSpotlight;/Users/*/Library/Metadata/com.apple.IntelligentSuggestions;/Users/*/Library/PersonalizationPortrait;/Users/*/Library/Safari;/Users/*/Library/Suggestions;/Users/*/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

This seems to be a bit excessive of a list, is apple still adjusting the API and how it works on a system?

This is about the most fully-fleshed out analysis of the issues with FDA that I’ve found so far. I think even with Urbackup listed in FDA, it’s still getting denied because of the reasons listed here (see: TCC requires it to have that usage description built into its Info.plist file): Mojave’s privacy protection is complex and will crash innocent apps – The Eclectic Light Company

Thanks Silversword - this correlates with my experience too.

That eclecticlight article is very interesting - I have two things to comment on it:

• The article suggests that the macOS bug causing applications to crash when they have FDA assigned does not correspond with my experience of how Urbackup snags on these folders;
  • Looking at Info.plist for Arq (which works on my system), I can see they’ve added keys for NSCalendarsUsageDescription, NSContactsUsageDescription, etc.

I guess Urbackup could use having those keys added too! :slight_smile:

just upgrade to mojave and all backup failing…
reading all the posts here, do not look good.

So there is no solution yet ?
Staying without backup on those mojave make me nervous :slight_smile:

PS: uninstalling the client for now do not seems to work well either

Another thread on manual rip out and removal:

Thanks Silverword
i will uninstall for now… tired to see the failure in my log :frowning:
still follow this thread (about the mac issue) closely.

I have the same issue on all my Mac’s. Adding Urbackup client to FDA does not fix the issue.

Has anyone gotten this to work yet? I have found something interesting that might help in solving this issue. So I have to two new laptops that have the T2 chip. Interesting enough this are the machine that won’t backup no matter what I try. Enabling FDA doesn’t address the issue on these machines at all. Now I have a 2012 MacMini server running macOS 10.4.2 fully patched with all the recent security updates. When I first installed the agent I got the error. However when I enabled FDA it started to work and function as excepted. This has completed a full backup and is successfully doing incremental backups as schedule. The only difference I see here is that one machine is older and doesn’t have the T2 chip, not to mention that it running the same macOS 10.14.2. While the other two machines that are running the same macOS are failing to backup no matter what I try or do. These machines oddly enough have the T2 chip.

I’m curious to see if the other people who can’t backup as well. Have the T2 chip on their systems. If so I hope that this points out and/or leads to a solution.

until this get solved i am going to found an other solution… or use TM :frowning:

My wife and I have 2015 MacBook Pros which don’t have the T2 chip and experience the same issue.

Interesting, in my case both machines that aren’t backing up have the T2 chip. I thought I found something that could/would help. Unfortunately not, I hope that this gets address sooner rather than later.

I should be clear here by saying I have issues. I can get backups to work but only after disabling and re-enabling URBackup in the FDA configuration. However, that authorization doesn’t survive a reboot and sometimes not even going into standby mode.

So my 2012 Mac mini, that’s hosting Plex server is constantly backing up every night without any issue. I’ve purposely rebooted it during the day at random time and it still backups without any issue. All I had to do was enable FDA and it’s currently running 10.14.2 with all of it latest patches.

You were lucky you must have a Late 2012 Mac mini, otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to upgrade to Mojave:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-14-mojave-compatibility/#SystemRequirements

Yes that is correct.

@EricSten @wakkedoff
Did you add the whole .app folder or only urbackupclientbackend to the FDA list?

I’ve tried both with the same result.

My Mac mini Mid 2011 is running Mojave smoothly :slight_smile:

For those who have Mojave running smoothly with the Urbackup client, would you mind looking in Activity Monitor to see what your tccd process usage is? Ordinarily it would be near 0%.

I found that I could - eventually - get Urbackup running smoothly under Mojave by poking at the FDA settings - but it would break after a while, and tccd usage would skyrocket.