Please Remove This Post

Is it possible to backup an entire system on linux with UrBackup?

I see these options when installing the client

-dattobd not supported on this system
-Detected no btrfs filesystem
-Detected no LVM volumes

I have a couple of installs of Debian and would like to get images of them. What is my easiest option to get this up and running with the Debian installs I have?

Easiest?
You check your LVM partition (if it exists - the LVM scan on UrBackup doesn’t detect mine, although read on as to why)
to see if it has free empty space (it shouldn’t, and maybe UrBackup doesn’t like that).
Then, you make free space (this is the fun part I suppose, if you have enough empty room, you ask to shrink one of the volumes but this will have to be done from a live CD).
After that, you write a pre script that creates an lvm_snapshot volume or something to that extent, give it a few gigs of space (you don’t need more that 5-10% of your HDD space) and write a post script that removes it. Example was given in 1.4 admin manual, and you’ll need at least a few more links to check on how to create lvm snapshots :smiley: Fun stuff.

Dirtiest way? Reformat your drive to btrfs :smiley:

Keep in mind, what I’m saying can be outdated, I’ve given up on Linux image backups for now.

Oh, forgot another simple trick - do a mondorescue or ReaR backup of your computer, so when you restore it you can just pull a backup from UrBackup :slight_smile:

For the heck of it I decided to install a test ubuntu because it uses LVM out of the box. I tried both LVM and dattobd on Ubuntu 16.04.1 Server and I get Image Backup not supported for both. Here is my partition layout.

Disk /dev/sda: 20 GiB, 21474836480 bytes, 41943040 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xa96e8dab

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 999423 997376 487M 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1001470 41940991 40939522 19.5G 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1001472 41940991 40939520 19.5G 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu–vg-root: 17.5 GiB, 18811453440 bytes, 36741120 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/ubuntu–vg-swap_1: 2 GiB, 2147483648 bytes, 4194304 sectors

I have no free space on the disk but UrBackup still will not see it as able to do Image Backups. Any other suggestions?

I thought image backups was only supported for Windows clients.
My understanding is that Linux snapshots, LVM etc, are used for making shadow copies during file backups.

That said, you can use LVM and dd to manually create images of running Linux systems. Google is your friend.

%$#% I wish someone would have explained this to me before I wasted like 5 hours trying to get this work. So when I do file backups will it automatically do the snapshot or do I have to do that manually through cron beforehand?

If you were given a snapshot option during the Linux client installation it will be used to create the shadow copies during the file backups. It’s all automatic. Check the log file, via the web interface, to make sure it’s behaving as expected.

Also make sure the drop down, at the top of the log page, is set to info or you’ll only see any errors by default.

Glenn

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.