Please help me understand the zfs snapshot cleanup mechanism

I started replicating our backup server, which is using zfs storage and the incremental-forever style backups, to another server using the zrepl tool. Since zrepl creates its own snapshots to to incremental replication, when urbackup deletes a backup orphan datasets are left behind. I was going to write a script to clean up these deleted datasets, but I can’t wrap my head around what I’m seeing. Below screenshot is the output of zfs list -t filesystem,snapshot -r -o names,clones,origin tank/[...]/PC. The leftmost column indicates which backups are shown in the webinterface and wether they are full or incremental backups.

Questions:

1. The cells marked in yellow belong to an incremental backup chain that contains no backups that are shown in the gui. I don’t understand why they still exist. Since the @ro snapshot is still there, I think the server hasn’t even tried deleting them. According to my retention settings they should have been deleted for a long time. Are these safe to destroy?
  2. The cells marked in orange show backups that were deleted by the server after the zrep snapshot was created. How can I reliably determine wether it is safe to delete these volumes (including the zrep snapshot) so the deletion can be propagated to the mirror system? Is the absence of an @ro snapshot a safe indicator? Or do I need to lookup from the sqlite database?
  3. Can someone explain to me how the snapshot promotion during the cleanup works? I don’t understand how a snapshot of a newer dataset (like 200410-0103@200403-2317) can be the parent of an older dataset (like 200403-2317).

Thanks for any help.

@Jeeves can you help maybe? You mentioned a long time ago that thanks to zfs send/receive we can replicate easily, but I can’t figure out how to actually use it in production without ending up with a full pool.

To be fair, it’s less easy than I anticipated when I asked for implementation.

So, what urbackup does is creating a snapshot of the latest backup, and then clone that snapshot to a working filesystem. zfs send|receive did not work for me. At least, not as I am doing it normally.

The leftover snapshots are usually by error, because they are dependent on some other filesystems. I regularly need to promote filesystems, making them independent from the snapshots that should be removed.

man zfs, search for zfs promote

Sorry but that is too superficial to help me. I know how to administer zfs. What I don’t know is which volumes are referenced by urbackup and which are remnants of failed deletes.

That would be logical and easy to grasp. But as in my question #3, it seems to do more than that.

When the snapshots marked in yellow should have been deleted, there was no zrep snapshot yet, so no dependent filesystems that would prevent a delete. So the only explanation is a bug in urbackup.

The lack of removing snapshots is some error in Urbackup. I compared the backups in the database and on the filesystem a few times, and was able to remove the backups that should not be on disk. Sometimes, I needed to promote a newer backup, which was depending on a backup that needed to be removed.

The system is not as bugfree as I would like, but it hasn’t bothered me enough yet to dive into it and bug @uroni about it, sorry.

Could you try this change please: https://github.com/uroni/urbackup_backend/pull/11

If it’s confirmed working I’ll merge it into 2.5.x… (it has a recursive destroy in it so I’m not sure it does the correct thing in all situations)

I thought about trying those changes, but they require updating for the current zfs version. And to do that, I need to understand what snapshot hierarchy urbackup is expecting, specifically Question #3.

It’s all in https://github.com/uroni/urbackup_backend/blob/dev/snapshot_helper/main.cpp

It’s build for btrfs, so it is a bit awkward with ZFS. When creating a backup it creates a volume, then writes to it, then makes it “read-only” – in ZFS by creating a “@ro” snapshot. On incremental backup it clones the “@ro” snapshot then writes to that one, then creates a new “@ro” snapshot of the new backup.
On removal it promotes, deletes and renames stuff until the snapshot+volume can be deleted…